Reality in Fantasy

I wake up the next morning in a cold sweat, my eyes burning with tears that had fallen while I must have been asleep. A nightmare- it felt like. Only I couldn't remember. Just a bad dream that I have no recollection of...

At least I wouldn't be haunted by it. 

If only reality could be that simple. 

The bright lights of the hospital room are intense as I squint and blink slowly, adjusting my vision. I bring my, still aching, arms up to rub my eyelids before opening my eyes carefully. I am met with the nurse directly at my side, her pale face and green eyes staring down at me with a strained smile as she grips her clipboard.

She didn't look too happy. But I didn't care. 

"Good Morning, Miss Kamski." 

"Where's Nines..." Is the first thing that comes from my mouth as I try to sit up from the freezing hospital bed.

I use my elbows to prop myself up as the nurse shakes her head:

"I'm sorry, Miss Kamski but your father has prohibited any visitors at this time. We escorted the android out this morning." 

This morning?

Nines was with me the entire night?

"Okay that's fine, but I need my android here with me right now, he needs to be with me at all times."

"But your father-"

Irritated, I close my eyes with frustration as I cut off her sentence:

"My father  said no visitors. My android is...a device that ensures my protection. Bring it in right now, otherwise I will get you fired and get a new nurse."

Was I being a b-word? Probably. Did I care? No. 

"Yes, Miss Kamski." She responds with a nod, before scurrying out of the room. 

I roll my eyes and huff, as I let myself fall back onto the pillows. I was not in the mood today. I was pissed off and I knew, deep down inside that a storm I did not want to deal with was brewing. Today was the day I would get my test results back, and find out exactly what happened to me. 

And I wanted Nines with me while the results are read to me. 

I hear the door screech open as I sit up to see the nurse come back with Nines following behind her. His grey-blue eyes lock onto mine as he walks over and stands by my bedside. He blinks, analyzing me as he tilts his head to stare down at me:

"Miss Kamski."  He stares at me as a wave of relief washes over me upon seeing him,"Is everything alright?"

"I just wanted you in the room with me."  I say, watching as Nines' brows furrow slightly with confusion. But after a quick glance at the nurse I notice she's giving me a weird look, so I clear my throat and try to put on an act, "Um...you need to make sure the room is safe." I suddenly say to Nines coldly. 

"I...see..." He says, eyes squinting slightly with confusion. 

"The doctor will be here soon to announce your test results. In the meantime, ring the buzzer if you need anything, Miss Kamski." The nurse says, as I nod towards her while she exits the room. 

"You fumbled over your words and tried to act a certain way around the nurse." Nines suddenly says, calling me out as he takes a seat on the stool and scoots a bit closer to me, "Why?" 

I sigh deeply:

"I don't know. People are weird. It's like I'm not allowed  to be friends with an android or something. Like it's forbidden." I explain, making air-quotes with my fingers. 

Nines' eyes narrow slightly:

"Friends?" 

I feel my heart skip a beat for some strange reason, but I nod quickly, watching as his LED flickers amber and his optic units begin to blink rapidly. His lips part slightly and I stare at him as he shakes his head:

"We are not...friends..." He says carefully, "I am a machine designed to accomplish a task." 

I want to argue with him. I want to deny him- retort, with something logical- but I can't. I can't say anything because deep down inside I knew how badly I wanted to make something more of him. I was so lonely that I was expelling it all onto him, and in return my expectations of him only became more impossible.

I nod slowly, not moving my eyes from his pretty blue ones as I smile with a heavy, constricting weight in my chest:

"Yeah, I know that..." I laugh lightly even though everything I was feeling was far from light, "I was just... kidding..." 

"Hello."  The doctor suddenly enters the room. He is tall, wearing glasses and a white jacket as he flashes me a bright smile "How are you feeling?" 

"I'm alright." I say, sitting up straighter as my eyes fix onto the paper in his hands, "Are those my results?" 

"That's correct." The doctors says, as he pulls a rolling chair and takes a seat on the other side of the hospital bed I was on. He scoots closer and adjusts his glasses, as I watch his eyes skim over the sheet of paper in his hand, "We found a few things..."

I look away from him to stare down at my hands as I fidget my fingers nervously. My heart was pounding hard in my chest. This was it. 

"You were injected with heroine and inhaled various strands of chemicals. It could take a few days to get these components out of your system, so it's imperative that you work towards that when we discharge you." 

I nod quickly, feeling a pinch in my chest as I wince at the thought of those strange and terrifying men handling and injecting things into my body while I was unconscious. I try to stay composed as I look at the doctor and allow him to continue:

"Keep going." I say dryly.

"Your rape kit test was..." He pauses, staring at his clipboard as I bite my bottom lip and brace myself for the results:

"Negative." 

A weight feels as if it was lifted off of my chest as I nod slowly and exhale deeply, my eyes burning with the urge to cry as I suppress my tears. The fact that they could have done something terrible like that scared me beyond a point of no return. I look at Nines, who stares at me, blue eyes fixing onto mine with that steady gaze that somehow makes me feel relaxed as I internally try to get myself together. 

"Are there any other tests you'd like to run, Miss Kamski?" The doctor says, as I break away my eye contact with Nines to look at him. 

"No.." I breathe out, as I sit up straighter and shake my head "No, that's all. Thank you."

The doctor nods towards me with a smile as he stands up from his seat:

"I've spoken to your father about a therapist for you...given the situation- I would highly recommend-"

I feel my eye twitch at the mention of a therapist, as I interrupt the doctor:

"Is that all of the tests I needed to do? Can I leave now?" I interject impatiently into his sentence, watching as his eyes widen slightly.

"I um...yes, you may...but-"  He stammers, and I don't waste anymore time as I pull the blanket off of my body and push myself off of the bed. I don't have the will anymore to rest or lie dormant whilst my entire life falls apart before me. 

"Thanks." I say quickly, as I walk through the door and out into the corridor, hearing Nines' footsteps following close behind me.