Midnight Visitor

"Two minutes..."  

A voice comes as I hazily begin to regain consciousness:

"Two minutes was all it took..."

I open my eyes slowly to realize that it is my father, pacing the bright, spacious room as I blink slowly and try to clarify my vision. I attempt to sit up, but a jolt of pain shoots up my back and I wince:

"Ah..."  I breathe, as I let myself lie back down, noticing my entire body had been wrapped up with thin gauze and bandages.

My father turns around quickly, his dark eyes locking onto mine as he hurriedly makes his way over to my side:

"Y/N..."  He says softly, his expression pale and alert.

I don't say anything as I stare at him blankly and quietly. I didn't have it in me to give a sassy remark, or condescending tone. It was different this time. I felt different. 

I felt dead.

"This is all my fault." He says, as his dark eyes stare hollowly into mine. But I avert my gaze elsewhere once the tears begin to prick at the corners of my eyes again. 

"I'm sorry." He says quietly as he takes my hand carefully into his, "I am...so...so...sorry...."

"They let me go."  I say, my throat dry and scratchy from not having spoken in a while, "They were bad people, dad. Who were they? What deal did you make to get me out...."

His expression changes, his eyes widening slightly at my sudden question as I watch his face pale and harden considerably. But he blinks once and it's back to that stoic, emotionless expression. That facade of a father he always was.

He shakes his head slowly:

"I will make sure this never happens to you again."  He says, ignoring my question as he gives my hand a gentle squeeze, "This will never...ever...happen again..."

But I didn't want bullshit reassurance. I didn't want comfort.

I wanted answers.

"What deal did you make to get me out?"  I ask again, more firmly as he ignores me and turns around to tell the nurse to take care of me, before making his way towards the door promptly.

"Dad!"  I call out to him, but he doesn't turn around, instead stopping in his steps to listen to me while I feel the tears roll down my cheeks as my chest tightens with anger and frustration, "Seriously?"  My voice breaks.

"There are some things in this world that you are better off not knowing."  He says, before walking out of my hospital room, the heavy glass door slamming shut behind him. 

I watch him leave as I sniff and rub my eyes. It hurt to be ignored. To be cast aside and disregarded- but it was something I was used to, more often than not. 

So, I shouldn't dwell on it right?

I push myself up, utilizing my elbows once more in a pathetic attempt to sit up- when the nurse suddenly runs over to my side and helps me:

"Thank you..." I mutter quietly to her, as I finally sit upright and stare down at my scratched up hands. My chest burns with a pain I can't explain, as I push myself to cast my sadness aside and speak:

 "When can I leave? I just want to go home..." I ask. 

"I'm afraid you're going to need to stay here overnight. The doctors want to run some tests in the morning to make sure everything is alright before discharging you tomorrow, Miss Kamski."  The nurse responds, as I sigh deeply.