Restitution

When I awake again, I am on a large bed, in a spacious, white room with plaster walls and no windows.

The room is cold, the white sheets biting at my skin as I sit up quickly and look down to see multiple scars on my arms that sting and burn badly. I remove the covers hastily to look at my leg, noticing that it has been poorly wrapped up in a bloodied gauze while my entire body aches.

My heart races fast in my chest with fear as I begin to recall the events that had taken place before I blacked out.

They had drugged me. I passed out. That's all I can remember.

What did they do to me while I was unconscious?

Almost mockingly, I notice that a large mirror has been situated along the center of the room. I move to stand up quickly, instantly realizing that I am insanely dizzy as I stumble and feel sharp jolts of pain shoot up all parts of my limbs as the abundance of random cuts and marks on me become more and more clear.

Some injuries- like my arm and leg- I knew about.

But others...others I didn't remember...I don't...

My heart sinks in my chest when I see my full body reflection in the mirror for the first time.

My arms have been bruised with dark purple splotches, while cuts, scabs and syringe dots decorated my neck and legs. It was a horrific sight, seeing my arms marked the way they were. They had cut me and bruised me all over while I was unconscious. They had injected me multiple times, the tiny syringe dots circling around my veins as my entire body throbbed with an indescribable pain.

I feel violated- void of any dignity or sanity I once had.

They had given me scars that I would never be able to erase.

There is a door in front of me, but I find for the first time that I cannot do anything as I feel my entire body just collapse onto the cold tiled ground in seconds- my limbs failing me and going limp- I couldn't recognize myself anymore. It felt like I had been forced out of my own body.  Stolen. I didn't feel good. I didn't feel clean.

I hear gunshots outside of the door, but I still can't move- my body pained and exhausted while my mind races with the desire to just let whatever it was end my misery once and for all. My shoulders tremble as I feel the numbness in my hands travel up to my arms, wrapping around them like lace. I didn't expect it to be like this. This wasn't supposed to happen to me.

Why is this happening to me?

The door is suddenly kicked down, and like a distant dream, men in all-black uniforms enter with their guns, helmets and vests. I realize my consciousness is delayed as I stare at them with blank haze, realizing that it was actually a swat team standing near me. That's a good thing right? I don't know anymore.

The worst has already happened.

My vision goes blurry as I catch him- with his white jacket, enter the room quickly, wasting no time while he crouches down to my side and uses his body to shield me. His blue eyes lock onto me as he removes his jacket and wraps it around my shuddering shoulders, scooping me whole into his strong arms while the swat team's voices linger and echo throughout the room. It all happens so fast, I almost don't want to believe it's real.

I close my eyes and lean into his cold, metal chest while he carries me out of the room- feeling the familiar material that comprised him. My bodyguard android.

It really was him.

I wrap my arms around his head and move slowly, burying my face into the crook of his neck while he holds me- tightening his grip around my damaged vessel of a body as I begin to sob uncontrollably into his shoulder:

"It will be alright now." He says quietly, as he makes haste in carrying me down the flight of stairs while more gunshots sound violently throughout the entire building, "I'm here. I'm going to get you out of here..."

"You're too late, Nines..."  I say through my tears as I grip his dark shirt tightly while my body shakes, "you're too late..."  My voice breaks as I punch his chest weakly.

He is silent as he eventually evacuates me out of the building, before carefully passing me over to the EMTS that proceed to place me on a stretcher and roll me into the back of a private ambulance car. I feel my body ache as I try to sit up and find him, but the EMT officers usher me to lie back down and try to get some rest while they tend to my wounds that still sting and burn.

But how am I supposed to rest knowing I've been violated and hurt in too many ways to count?

For the first time in my life, both my mind and body feel as if they have caught up in flames.

I feel hot, burning tears prick the corners of my eyes as I stare blankly at the ambulance truck's plain, white ceiling while the EMTS patch me up like a ragdoll.

But thats when I see his icy blue eyes come into frame- cold and distantly staring down at me from above. I look up at him, my blurred gaze locking onto his as I feel my heart calm down if only for a moment through all of this.

He had come in the ambulance vehicle with me.

"Nines..."  I say his name, as the EMTS pick and prod at my wounds.

Him being here with me did something to me. Like something new in me had just awoken. A hit of reality- my reality. The simple realization that with all of this pain and intense suffering, my father was not here with me. Nor my friends or other family...

There was nobody. Nobody except him.

Nines. The android.

He was all I had right now.

I move my hand slightly to feel his fingers rested carefully on the rim of the stretcher- bringing the warm, numb palm of my hand to rest atop his freezing cold knuckles. The contrast in our temperatures was always strangely comforting.

I gaze at the soft glow of his blue LED, as I feel his slender fingers curl around mine to wrap my hand carefully into his. He holds it tightly, keeping his intense, grey orbs locked resolutely onto my face as we stare at each other silently. This was all I had. Him.

Before I know it, there's a pinch in my arm causing me to turn my head quickly and see that the EMTs have stuck a syringe into my forearm. Straining my neck in silent protest, my vision goes blurry almost immediately, as a tiredness takes over my entire body- washing over my misery like a wave.

And it was almost comforting, the way I had no choice but to give in and fall prey to the sleep that looms over me. Nines' head tilting slightly while he watches me- his cold hand still enclosed around mine as I pass out once more.