Solitare

Stepping out of the hospital, the cold air greeted my face with kisses. And it felt so good. So much more than just air. An embrace from heaven that reminded me I could feel sensations that weren't pain. After what I went through, I felt lucky to be alive. Grateful to the breeze, and the chills that run up and down my arms and back as I close my eyes and breathe:

"Miss Kamski." 

I hear his voice from beside me, taking my breath away. 

My eyes pop right open to see the grey-blue sky above, sheets of clouds thinly splayed about, like soft, stretched cotton. I turn my head and look at him. Something else I was grateful for...

Him. 

It was the first time I had ever seen him looking up at the sky. Watching the clouds, not noticing the way I stared at his soft blue eyes reflecting the bright, cool hues of the day- the way they sparkled, shimmered and danced in his pretty irises. 

He turns his head and looks at me:

"Let me take you home."

I feel a small pinch in my heart:

"Okay." 

- - - - - -

I had gotten into a car with Nines, one that my father had prepared, but one that would surely get me home nonetheless. I wanted nothing to do with my father at this point, what with how shady he was, and how...seemingly much of my suffering is his fault

But still, I get into the car.

Nines sits beside me, as focused as I have ever seen him, watching as he glances around and scans the perimeter through the windows before nodding curtly towards the driver. I observe him and think how my father could have created something so impeccable. How a horrible man could create such a perfect being. 

But more than that, I didn't want to go home. I didn't feel safe. I wanted to just run away. From the popularity, the money, the danger. All of it. 

"Is there something you require of me Miss Kamski." He says suddenly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I blink quickly:

"Hm?"

"You're staring."  He says, as he turns his head suddenly to meet my eyes, "Is there any way I can assist you?" 

Yes.

"No."  I respond quickly, recognizing the presence of the driver, "I'm fine." I say, as I sit back in my seat and avert my eyes to stare out the window...

Watching his eyes narrow faintly through the reflection in the glass.

- - - - 

We arrive to the estate shortly after, and I get out of the car to see about a dozen men in suits lined up by my front door. My heart races fast in my chest. I knew these were probably people my father assigned, to keep me safe, but it felt horribly too soon to be surrounded by shit like this. Especially after what happened, I didn't want to be around...

Men. 

With the exception of Nines, but was Nines a man? He looked like one. Talks like one. 

But he feels different- not because he's an android. He feels, somehow, much more humane than me. And that in itself was soothingly mysterious in it's own way...

I stand behind him, gripping his arm lightly as I feel my chest tighten. He glances down at me and blinks, his expression collected, as his light blue eyes stare at me: