9. pink, yellow & blue

a/n: this chapter is through Diane's eyes but i ll be narrating. just to avoid confusion. also this is a filler sorry not sorry

*******

"Noah, why do you have three same jackets?" she asks as her son, zips up a new sky blue one. Noah, not amused by his mother's observation, takes a little bit of time to reply. 

"I have a pink, yellow and blue one," he explains and she gives him a knowing look. Noah is a hoarder when it comes to clothes. She can never say deny him her credit card. Though she presumes it's partly Shelly's fault too who keeps telling him he always has too less and that he should try out something new. 

To Diane, Noah will wear anything that makes him look small and undetectable. In Texas however, his choice of colors has attracted him more slurs than skimming eyes. 

"Looking good," Shelly compliments him. She gives him a quick look of admiration which is replicated in Noah's crooked half smile. Shelly presses a quick kiss and unassuming kiss on Diane's lips. Noah's presence causes it not to accelerate further.

 The ghost of Shelly's lips lingers when she leaves, leaving Diane in a glossy daydream about just how fucking happy she is. Shelly is an angel. Diane doesn't know what she did to deserve her. 

"What are you wearing on your date?" she asks, wiggling her brows at her son. He gives her a slightly bizarre and bemused look. "With Gus?"

"It's not a date. We were joking."

Oh. "Well, is there someone you'd like to go out with, baby?"

Noah casually falls silent at that. He's always making movements, either his fingers are stimming with a rubber band in his grip or he is swaying his side to side when alone. His body has fallen completely silent right now, as if he'd on another planet where he can't his mother's voice. Diane's worry only grows from there. She doesn't want to make it seem she's bothered by the silence and yet she knows without asking, she'll perhaps never get the answer. 

"Hey, No? You alright?"

"I like Conan," he says promptly. He pushes his chair opposite to the spot where she is sitting at on the table. He looks...crestfallen. And it's harder for him. Changes in someone's behavior or a habit breaking upsets him and to some extent Diane can't explain all that he feels. His lower trembles when he speaks again, prompting Diane to get off her chair. She doesn't directly touch him, in fear of upsetting him further. 

"Hey, isn't that a good thing?" she asks, gently giving him a side hug when he allows her to. She squeezes him lightly in her grip. 

He shakes his head in frustration. "It isn't! He doesn't like me back and I am being clingy and needy."

"Did he say that?" she asks, furrowing her brows. There's no way Noah told him and judging by Conan's nature, Diane wants to believe he wouldn't actually have said that. Although, she isn't sure of it. The sweetest of Noah's friends have turned out to be blood thirsty pricks. 

"That's what he thinks. I don't wanna talk about it," he says. The discussion has ended there but Diane knows Noah won't be talking for a few hours. 

******

> Conan's Phone <

>> iMessage <<

Noah<3