Before it All

Long before you qualified to become a captain, you were a recruit at MASA. Kinda like NASA but was run by a big know it all called Mark. Not your Mark, another Mark.

Everyday was the same. Wake up. Get dressed and go to class. By the afternoon it was physical training to keep your mind and body healthy. You debated constantly if all the exercise was worth it.

Luckily you had a friend in your class. Mark. Your Mark. You worked closely together, seeing as all Captain's need to know how to work alongside their crew.

You remembered a time in which you had to work on an engineering problem together.

"I have a solution!" Mark yelled.

"Thank goodness."

"It involves explosives."

"Absolutely not." You argued about whether or not to use explosives for so long you didn't notice your teacher standing right behind you.

"NO EXPLOSIVES MARK! I'VE TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT!" three teacher bellowed, meaning both yourself and Mark leap into the air. Shortly after you received a scolding from your teacher.

You two were always getting into don't sort of trouble, but you always ended up passing your classes. Others in your classes found it weird you were both spending so much time together and never got together.

Little did they know, or you know, that Mark had a little crush on you the whole time. He loved the way you would take charge of the situation, even if you didn't know how to solve it straight away. You were a true leader and the only captain that Mark wanted to work with. He would simply refuse anyone else. You thought he was great too, but a bit of an idiot.

Combat classes were your favourite because it meant you got kick other people's a**es. Especially Mark's.

THUMP! You had beaten Mark in a hand to hand battle. He lied there on the floor, clearly in pain.

"I think you twisted my spine captain!"

"Do you have to call me that? I'm not even a captain yet."

"You will be one day. The captain of your own ship. Our ship. Can't have you working with any other Marks now can I." He awkwardly chuckled as he began to stand up and readjust his training jumpsuit. Most days were the same. The same conversations, the same training sessions, the same long day.

So when the time came to graduate,you made a promise to each other to stick by each others side. Mark was adamant that you would be the only captain he would ever work with, and you wouldn't have it any other way.

ERROR

ERROR

ERROR

ERROR

ERROR

WORMHOLE OPENING IN 3... 2...

A SOFTWARE UPDATE IS AVAILABLE

WOULD YOU LIKE TO RESTART AND APPLY THIS UPDATE?

You could feel your body been flung around as the ship entered the wormhole. This wasn't supposed to happen. You were supposed to be in a cryogenic slumber throughout this.

"Don't give up..."

A voice called out in the darkness before you was flung back into your body.

SOFTWARE UPDATE COMPLETE

GOOD MORNING, CAPTAIN. WE ARE CURRENTLY ERROR YEARS INTO OUR JOURNEY.

COFFEE IS ON ROUTE

CURRENT SHIP STATUS IS

ABSOLUTELY CATASTROPHIC.

INITIALIZING EMERGENCY WAKEY-WAKEY PROTOCOL

The computers voice began to deepen and crack. The screen flashed red, glitches appearing everywhere on the screen. What was going on?

You hit the button to open your CRYO-POD. The door opened and you were pushed out of the pod.

REVIVING HEAD ENGINEER

Mark!

You turned towards Marks CRYO-POD. He too was flung out of the pod.

"Captain, what the hell is AHHH-" The thick glass window in front you broke and Mark was sent hurling out into space.

"NO!" You called out.

HULL BREACH DETECTED

SEALING BLOCKAID

The shutters slammed closed, you now trapped inside the hull.

FIRE ON THE BRIDGE

ERROR

LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS FAILING

ERROR

AUTOMATIC FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM OFFLINE

ERROR

FAILSAFES OFFLINE

The main desk had set on fire. The smoke slowly filling the air. You looked around for what to do.

There were 2 options.

Put out the fire, or fix life support?

The choice is yours.