5. A saint in a devil's disguise

──────────────✧❁✧─────────────CW: drugging, alcohol usage, violence, protective James, sexual assault ( I will mark the beginning and ending of this part in the story

CW: drugging, alcohol usage, violence, protective James, sexual assault ( I will mark the beginning and ending of this part in the story. I'm aware that this is a sensitive topic but to let y'all know, James will prevent it from going any further. Please read with caution or skip)

Arabella waved a last silent goodbye to David and Rose as the couple drove away in the late spring night. The air was brisk and warm, summer was just a hand reach out. She could practically touch it by her fingertips. She'd held her gaze on David's Ford until she needed to narrow her eyes to get a glimpse of the black little spot before it disappeared around a corner.

Her eyes was still locked onto the street when there was nothing left to follow. Her fingers grazed the ruffled fabric on her shoulders as she stood with crossed arms. For a moment she'd almost forgot that she wasn't alone on the sidewalk until the man next to her cleared his throat. Arabella turned her attention back to him.

" Why didn't you go with them? "

James had already fished up his phone and looked at her if he waited for an approval to call a cab. She didn't knew how he would react to her suggestion, if he even was that type who enjoyed to spend time in the way she'd thought about. He wasn't exactly a big chatter and she didn't see him as someone that could actually get loose, but maybe it could get easier with a drink or two in his body. For both of them.

" I was actually thinking about if we could head to a bar or something? I'm guessing you haven't had exactly much time to tour around the city? " 

James quirked a brow. " Didn't you say you had to work tomorrow? "

She shrugged. " Yeah but an hour or so couldn't hurt, right? Besides it's Saturday so we don't open until later. "

He didn't answer her. Instead he dialed a number before placing the phone against his ear. He told him the name of the hotel and ended the call. He typed quickly on phone. Arabella thought it must've been William. She wasn't even sure if he had any friends or family. For the moment, if felt like all that circled around James was her uncle.

" Is that a yes? " She asked.

He paused to give her a crooked smile. " Two hours. Duty's calling early tomorrow. "

Within a couple of minutes the little black, old fashioned cab arrived. James opened up the backseat door for her to take a seat and he followed shortly after.

The man in front looked at them through the rear view mirror. " Good evening, where are we heading? "

" The Tulip. " Arabella said as she buckled up. The driver nodded and pulled off the side.

" The Tulip? That sounds like a strip club.
" James scoffed with a doubtful look.

Arabella chuckled and shook her head. " No it's not, it's one of my favorite bars, that's also a club at the back. We don't have to enter that part though, the bar side is just fine by me. "