CHAPTER SIX

"CAW, CAW, CAW!" The sharp cries of crows pierced through the air and aroused Myra from her sleep in her assigned tree house.

        She quickly sat up on her bed and listened. It was silent. Too silent. She stood up and moved to the window. The air was foggy with dew drops hanging on the leaves of the tree. It was dawn and yet not a single soul in sight which was unusual as the dwellers tended to rise early.

        "CAW!" The cry came again. Something was wrong.

        Myra hurriedly wiggled out of her undergarment,  grabbed her padded tunic and breeches and slipped on a pair of knee high boots. She finished off with a pair of vambraces and strapped her sword to her belt before rushing out.

        She stared at the settlement from the balcony of the tree house. Still no sign to prove that the dwellers had awakened. Ignoring the ladder, she slid down the tree using a single twine rope.

        She walked along the grass filled path till she got to the square. There were finally signs of activity. Warriors rushing about with weapons, healers instructing assistants to aid the wounded. She grabbed a trembling healer that passed by her.

        "What's happening? Why does the entire settlement feel desolate?"

        The healer shivered some more before responding. "The dwellers were instructed to stick to their homes. Strange knights and sorcerers appeared outside the forest before the crack of dawn and when they could not gain access, they resorted to torching the trees to dispel the fog."

        Blood ran dry from Myra's countenance. "Xavier." Without sparing another look at the healer, she held her sword tightly and sprinted, as fast as she could, to the entrance of the forest.

        The sounds of battle became clearer the closer she got to the forest entrance. When she finally got there, she found that a third of the forest trees were scorched and the fog was becoming increasingly thinner.

        The air smelt heavy of rot and they were several dark tendril - like swirls entwining with the thinning fog. Corroding it.

        She spotted Rojan and Rhia amidst a substantial amount of other sorcerers, some of whom she recognized.  They had hands raised in the air controlling the direction of the forest fog as they tried to counter the dark swirls. They were beginning to pale with beads of sweat decorating their foreheads and philtrums.

        She looked around to see the dwellers attacking the knights using the fog as cover. Not all were successful as some were caught in the corroding tendrils and others the blades of the enemy. They were still holding up nicely as more of the enemy knights fell by their weapons.

        "Milady." Someone called out to her. Denver.

        "What's the situation? " she asked, eyes trained on the enemy forces.

        "The Usurper's men. They attacked when we least expected. Took a while before they were spotted as they have sorcerers who cloaked them using forbidden magic."

        "How many of them are there?" The situation was becoming more chaotic as the tendrils corroded more of the fog causing the opposing knights to see the forest more clearly.

        "Around fifty knights not counting the fallen. The exact number of sorcerers is unknown but judging from the expressions on Rojan and Rhia, I'd assume quite a number."

        "There's no time. We need to speed up our attack. Gather some dwellers, encircle them and have them trapped in between us. We can't leave a single one alive."