CHAPTER TEN

Zayn paced about his chamber anxiously, his patience growing increasingly thin as he waited for Brien.

        There was a short, gentle knock on the door. "Who's there?" He paused to ask.

        " 'tis i Milord, Maude." A timid voice replied.

        Zayn rushed over to the door. She was a servant in the castle and the same person he'd sent to fetch Brien. "Where is he?" He asked as soon as he opened the door.

        "He left the castle grounds a while ago, Milord. Something about drapes and garments." She answered amidst a really low curtsy.

        "Alright then." He nodded slightly. Thinking back, Brien had informed him of going into town to pick out new drapes and while that wasn’t his job, he insisted anyways. "You may leave."

        "Aye, Milord." The maid curtsied again and walked away.
He watched the maid, Maude, as she walked away. He knew he was not going to get any useful information by confining himself in his chambers and so he set out to the stables.

        On his way to the stables, he heard voices coming from the library, an odd thing as he was the only one who frequented the library, besides the servants that is. He stopped abruptly and moved closer to the huge silver lined door.

        "'tis mere fascination born out of fear and frustration." A voice said while another sniggered maliciously.

        Zayn leaned closer to the door, pressing an ear firmly to the key hole. It was his father who had spoken. He was sure for that deep malicious voice could not be mistaken for anyone else's.

        "Aye. There has also been word of rebellion brewing in the North. The people speak of one who shall try to wrest the throne from your powerful grip." The second voice said.

        Zayn. twisted the door knob as quietly as he could and slowly opened the door a bit before peering inside. He could see then that the second voice belonged to one of his father's heartless cronies -the worst of them all- Lord Adolphus. His father stood menacingly in front of the glowing hearth, while Lord Adolphus lolled back comfortably on the blood-red velvet chair and filled himself full of ale.

        His father laughed then, a deep resounding crackle. "Pathetic tales whipped up by people who are even more pathetic. They should have known by now that there is no man bold enough to challenge my authority." He walked over to the more sophisticated sofa and reclined lazily with a goblet in hand, his countenance much more sterner.

        "Do you not think though that perhaps the one who had given out food to the people previously and the one who they claim to be their saviour are one and the same?”

        The king moved his head back and forth, slowly. "That may be a likely possibility, but one I shan’t dwell on at the moment." He said arrogantly.

        "As you please, Your Highness." Lord Adolphus looked about the library. "The prince? I haven’t set eyes on him for a while now. Is he well?"

        "His well being is of no importance to me. He has chosen to act a spineless fool and a weakling, showing sympathy to the people. If his blood hadn’t proved otherwise I would’ve doubted the credibility of him being my seed." He spit with disgust lacing his tone and Zayn grit his teeth silently behind the door.

        "Surely you cannot mean all-"

        "You will speak of him no more Adolphus. Lest you incur my wrath."

        Zayn heard footsteps coming from down the hall  behind him as Lord Adolphus gave his sunken reply. He quickly shut the door silently and headed towards the other end of the hall. He bumped into Brien.