CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Zayn furrowed his brows as he walked down the wooden stairs. The entire place was so dark he could barely see Hus hands stretched out in front of him so he hard to rely on his other senses as he felt his way through the narrow hallway.

        There were occasional screams so he just followed the sounds, paying minimal attention to his pounding heart and twitching eyelids.

        It took a good while, but he finally made it to a place with several flaming torches hung up on the muddy walls and an intersection with two different paths spanning out before him.
He exhaled deeply and listened carefully to determine the right path to take. Right, he decided as the torrent of screams started again.

        He increased his pace as he moved down the hallway. It was light up, so his task was quite easy. He finally got to a large open space with strange runes scratched unevenly on the walls, some newer than the others.

        He inhaled deeply this time and regretted. The place smelt heavily of decay and it wasn't wood this time. He tread carefully, keeping close to the walls as he looked around the hall. It was completely bare save for the runes. Naught else.

        He stood still for a while and when the screams came again, he walked over to the end of the hall. There was no door and the wall looked the same as everywhere else.

        He stared at the wall for a while before feeling his way around it. A short while later, a smooth rock protruded before his eyes and he latched unto it before pulling.

        Soft rumbling and then the wall opened. He stood still for a while and the proceeded to walk in when he heard the much clearer sounds of anguish.

        "Please, spare me."

        "I can't take it anymore."

        "Let me go, you demon."

        "I curse you, you heartless vermin. I curse you to die a wretched, gruesome death."

        There were unending rows of metal cages lined up against the walls. The entire space smelt of blood, rot and body fluids. The words were endless as the inhabitants of these cages kept on screaming out curses.

         There were tens of humans, men, women and even a bunch of other creatures mixed in. He stared in strong bewilderment at the sight.

        Some of these people went on to pound on the cages violently at the sight of Zayn, some whimpered silently while a lot more just stared on with lifeless eyes.

        Zayn walked in further and examined the cages. There was no lock and when he got close enough, he felt a rebound and his insides churned at the fierce energy. He resisted the urge to cough up his entrails violently and cleared his throat instead.

         He moved close enough to a relatively calm creature, it was a gresonian. He looked calm as he stared at Zayn but his green speckled black eyes contained so much anxiety and his black hair contained tufts of gray strands.

        "I know you." The gresonian said even before Zayn had the chance to speak. "You're his son."

        Some humans close enough to hear the gresonian pounded in the metal bars even harder and cursed violently at Zayn.

"Let us out. Have you not had enough. Please, we promise not to say a word. We'll be silent, please."

        Their eyes were red and they were almost to the point of being driven mad by torture as they banged on the metal cages with renewed fervor.