Chapter 7

"Jennette," the white haired boy called her name, she looked up from her messy locker after supposedly looking for a box of detergent. "I don't mind the stain. Let's go back."

"Well I do. Penny minds the stain too. She'd feel guilty if you don't get it off."

He continued to stand there waiting for her. There was no use in fighting, she looked very stubborn at the moment.

"Plus, Kiel, your hands are sweaty. You're fiddling with your sleeves. You look anxious." Jennette stood up slowly making her way to him. "Are you nervous about something? Are you afraid we'll miss the dance?" She asked with a very blank face.

Ijekiel slightly blushed and answered, "Yes, yes I am. I don't want Athy to wait too long."

"Don't worry, she's with Lucas. I'm sure they're having a blast together."

"That's exactly the point. I want to be with her. I have a plan to confess my feelings after safely escorting her to her front door."

"Tch. You'd be the dead at the hands of Uncle Claude first. And I have a plan too. By the sound of the current music playing, it's working well." She was provoking him. She didn't like how he underhandedly rejected her.

"What plan? Are you-.... Penny bumped into me intentionally didn't she? You lure me out here so that I wouldn't get a chance to talk to Athanasia." Ijekiel solved the riddle.

"Bingo! I've been shipping Lucathy since day 1." She said half-sarcastically. A fake smile carved on her face.

"Jennette, you can't just do that! You're roping your friends into your little play fantasy!" Ijekiel threw his hands in the air as he felt angrier.

"I am not!! We had a deal. I only helped those two to give their relationship a little push."

He groaned, head tilting back while hands covering his face. "Athanasia already has a new partner I suppose?"
Jennette nodded. He sighed, tired of the whole situation.
"I'm going home." Ijekiel turned his heel and she watch him leave.

....................................................................

"Ijekiel? Prom ended already?" Roger asked his son when he saw him return.

"It's the school dance. Not prom."

"Same thing. How did it go with Athanasia?" Roger continued.

"What do you mean, father?"

"You know I've been sucking up to that damn Claude for way too long. If you marry Athanasia then all of A.O assets would fall into your hands. That's the least you could do as my son." Roger said.

"That's how you see her?? No, that's how you see everyone. We're all just assets to you. Me, your own son, is an asset for your use."

"Ijekiel! Is that how you talk to your father?" Roger shouted.

Ijekiel flinched. He composed himself to apologize."I'm sorry father.... By the way, Athanasia has a boyfriend now. And you know what? I'm actually happy for her. She found someone to love genuinely and I sincerely wish her eternal happiness." Ijekiel said. He recalled catching a glimpse of Athy and Lucas together before leaving. It stung like a bee.

Ijekiel ran up the stairs to his room, locking his door. He layed on his bed, the pain in his chest increasing as he recalled her face again. He stood no chance from the start. He noticed how Athy blushed when Lucas says something, and vice versa. He's been watching this whole time, hoping maybe there is a chance for him, and that chance was prom. Everything came crashing down when he realised Jennette was stalling time.

Jennette. It's her fault. She's the enemy. But.... He can't bring himself to hate her. The look in her eyes when he argued with her that night shattered him. She looked determined, but broken and sad. He wonders what was actually in Jennette's mind?

....................................................................

"Relax. Stop fidgeting." Athy said to Lucas. They were in front of her home, waking up the steps slowly.

"How can I not? I've never been so nervous." He mumbled.

"It's just brunch. You have brunch here all the time. Daddy's not gonna kill you."

"It's brunch as your boyfriend. Rather than your dad murdering me, I'm more worried about your mom squealing."

Athy chuckled at his concern. That is the only thing that could make him nervous. Her mom was a chatterbox after all. She gave him a peck on the cheeks and went inside.

As predicted, Claude threw death glares while Diana asked a million questions, telling stories of her youth.

Then Athy quickly left with Lucas after giving her parents a tight a hug and kiss on the cheek. The couple proceeded to their first date. Felix drove them to the aquarium while crying tears of joy. He congratulate the two and waved them goodbye after dropping them off.

"Aquarium dates are so overrated. It's so full of people here I'm getting claustrophobic." Lucas complained.

"I have to agree with you on that. But come on! Let's try and have fun anyway." Athy said.

Lucas smiled at her attempts in entertaining him. She made jokes, drag him to every tank and gave little fun facts about anything she can think off.

"I take it back. Aquarium dates are kinda cool. Especially when it's with you."

Athy blushed and turn away. He laughed at her being embarrassed, it looked cute. He's definitely doing it again.

....................................................................

At school

"You know you should thank me right?" Jennette said during lunch. "I definitely played a big part in your relationship. Don't worry, a simple thank you would suffice." She held her nose up high.

Athy chuckled at her cousin and said thank you. Lucas did the same after she elbowed him.

"Where's Kiel?" Athy asked. "Don't you usually go together?"

Jennette stopped eating. She couldn't think of a way to dodge the question so she froze instead. Luckily Lucas helped her. "Ijekiel is a bit busy with the student council." He said.

"Oh..." Athy eyed Jennette suspiciously. She hopes nothing bad was going on between them.

After school, Jennette head over to Alpheus Residence immediately. Roger wasn't there, perfect. She sat on the couch and waited. Finally, Ijekiel came home.

"Hey." Jennette said.

".... Hi..." He replied.

"We need to talk."
He didn't reply. Busying himself with matters in the house instead.

"I'm sorry if you felt cheated. But I don't regret pushing them as a couple. They deserve each other. I'm sorry, Kiel. This can't go on. Please don't be mad at me because I didn't do much. Lucas bravely confesses while the only thing I did was drag you out the hall. And I did that so I could be alone with you."

Ijekiel lifted his head to look at her. What happened to the girl who cried at the smallest things? Now she's grown up brave enough to conjure up schemes. He thought he knew everything about his friends. He realised that he's completely wrong.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I like you idiot." Jennette said. "I know you don't like me the way I do, so I'll take my leave now." Jennette sprinted for the door. A part of her hoped he would stop her, but it was futile. He only watched her back disappear behind the door.

....................................................................