5 - Meating the other side of the family

The water pushed me away from the impending doom. Listening as steel met marble with a sickening screech. The water rippled around at the sudden force intruding on its calmness.

Triton quickly recovered his balance, propelling forward at godly speeds. Well, he is a god, Percy, of course, he's fast. Aah! Focus.

I uncapped Riptide, feeling the reassuring weight in my hand. I met his trident head-on, directing the force of the blow to the side. Even I know not to take the full strength of a god.

I watched as Triton used the momentum of his swing to follow through with a wide swing, aiming for my side. Move Percy!' I yelled to myself, feeling a sudden strength flow through my veins.

Using the water, I shot down. Allowing the swing to pass over my head. 'That would have hurt if it hit me'

"I'll rip your disrespectful head off your shoulders!" He barked, rushing at me from above. I know I couldn't dodge the speed, so all I did was brace my feet on the floor, readying my body to absorb the blow.

A bright light encased the room, making me close my eyes at its sharpness. Leaving me vulnerable. I waited for the blow, but it never came. Slowly opening my eyes, I saw my father, and he was not happy. His hand had caught the trident in Triton's hand, stopping it mere inches from my neck.

"What, in the name of mother creation is going on here!" He ordered, looking between me and Triton. I capped my sword, placing it back into my ripped hoodie.

I was about to answer when Triton interrupted me. "That girl has disrespected me, called me a 'mermaid' and almost killed me for waking her up." My father looked in my direction, his eyes holding an unfathomable amount of anger. The very air or water around me became freezing, making a cold chill run down my spine. Now I understand why he was one of the most feared gods alive. That look in his eyes would put any god or monster calling for their mother.

I gave a glare of my own to counter the fear crawling down my back. "His ego needed to be taken down a notch, I got the nickname because he has a literal tail where his legs should be. And the last part was an accident. I forgive him for waking me up."

My father closed his eyes. He took a deep breath, calming his nerves. "Triton, after breakfast, you will double your work." Triton looked on in disbelief. My father looked at me. Did he just ground his son? A God no less. Pfft. "Perseus... I'll figure out what to do with you later." I just rolled my eyes. Like I'll listen to whatever he has to say.

A new voice came from the entrance of the dining hall. "What happened here?" The voice was calm and soothing. Much like my mother's. The woman drifted over the fallen stone her black hair stuck in a loose bun on the top of her head. With a short wave of her hand and the stone went back to their respective places, making it look like nothing ever happened.

I feel as if I should know her. I raked around in my head, trying to piece together where and when exactly I saw the woman before me.

"Ah, Mother. I apologize for my rude behaviour." I blinked several times when I saw Triton bow. Even more shocking, someone as beautiful as this woman, is the mermaid's mom. I looked between the two bewildered.

I smacked my first into my palm, having remembered who the woman is before me. "Ah-ha!" I quickly shut my mouth when all eyes turned in my direction. Heat rose to my cheeks as I could have sworn I resembled a tomato. I clasped my pen to keep down my embarrassment in a way to gain back some dignity.

"So you must be Persephone" the way she spoke my name suggests that she is none too pleased with my presence. She hid it adequately that, without my enhanced hearing I wouldn't have picked up on the change of tone in her voice. The sea-blue eyes bore into my soul.

She looked away, inspecting her son for any wounds. I sighed a breath I didn't know I was holding. My dad moved toward me. "How was your night?" It was an honest question, but it felt wrong coming from him. Like a feeling of care you always wanted, but instead, after a while, you gave up on it.

"Fine" I know it came off as cold, but can you blame me? The times I saw him I was almost killed, twice and he warned me of the impending doom of Olympus and the world.

He either didn't notice or chose to ignore it. He looked at the woman.
"I haven't properly introduced you to her. That is my wife, Amphitrite."
"Yeah, I noticed" came my tight response. I jerked when his hand rested on my shoulder, making me aware of how rigid my body was. I was nervous and out of place.

I moved from his hand, instead opting to introduce myself properly to the wife of my father, and also my stepmother. And she's most likely angry at me because my dad cheated on her with my mom and she can't take her wrath out on my father, and so on and so forth. Oh boy.

I moved forward and stuck my hand out. "Greetings, my name is Persephone, but you already knew that didn't you?" Amphitrite's attention did not falter from her son, having neat out his clothes, and untangled his hair.

I retracted my hand, releasing a nervous chuckle. I slowly moved away from the two of them, but one look from Amphitrite froze me in my place. She looked me up and down, like a predator to prey.

"Hmm." Huh? What does 'hmm' mean? Come on, use your words woman. I'm seriously stressed out and I don't even know why. "There are a few changes that need to be made to finalize your title as Princess of the sea. First, clothes. You can't be wearing that in public. Second, your greeting is poor. And don't get me started on your posture."

She spoke while scanning me with her eyes. Just what the Hades (sorry uncle) does she mean? What's wrong with my clothes? And what is this about being or becoming a Princess?

_____
1090