Chapter 1: Return.

TW: strong language is used sometimes in the upcoming chapters!!

A few years from now, electric and self-driving cars would take over the world. Yet multiple groups of people exist in cities, holding on to the usage of gasoline powered cars and their heritage. Khairul, is one of those peoples. Living in Tema City.

"And Max Verstappen wins the 2021 Formula 1 World Drivers Championship! With Mercedes taking the Constructors Championship!"

He clicked off the video, scrolling through more YouTube recommendations. Getting a video call notification, he answers it, a familiar face is seen on the other side of the screen, an old friend. His dark brown hair sloped down to the halfway point of his neck, with similar coloured eyes behind round-frame spectacles.

"Peace be upon you Khai! What's up man?" The man on the other side of the screen spoke, his voice had a distinct Malay-Singaporean accent.

"Peace be upon you too Raf', I'm good, what's up with the suit?" Khai questioned,

"Well, I'm in New York now! I got a meeting with some of the big businessmen here. They're interested in buying out some stakes of my company. Are you still in the car restoration business?"

"Yeah, but there's some problems."

"Ok lah, at least you aren't bankrupt! I'll give you a call once I'm back in Tema, you, me, Shah and Irfan can go have lunch at that restaurant we all liked."

The video call ended a few minutes later, the rain pelting against the window which looked out towards the apartment's open air carpark. It was filled with gray-coloured electric cars, Tesla's, Polestars, etc. In a lot sat a white Toyota GR86, memories echoed in his conscience, the sound of it revving and the sound of his tyres gripping the mountain roads neaby, the mountain's name? Genting A110. Khairul grabbed a jacket, slipping it over his t-shirt. He grabbed the keys and went downstairs. The sound of a 4-cylinder boxer engine revved up in the parking lot, and the car left the lot, without any disturbances to the residents nearby.

Making his way up the mountain, Khairul flipped through some songs on his Spotify playlist. Eventually landing on a remix of Greek Tragedy by The Wombats.

"We're smashing mic's in karaoke bars~ You're running late with half your make-up on-"

He started to speed up, throwing the car through the corners. Muscle memory proved to come in clutch. It felt so smooth, and rather calming to have a drive again, after everything that had happened recently in his business. 

At the top, he pulled into a parking lot in front of a convenience store and got out. It seems many racers and drivers alike were here. Among the sea of men, women and machines, he sees yet another friendly face. Dark brown hair with a middle parting, flowing down to the 3/4 point of his neck, donning a dark green jacket with a white undershirt.

"Yo Khairul. Awak baik bro?"
(Yo Khairul, you good bro?)

"Baik lah, I felt like coming up here. Also Rafie cakap dia mahu makan dengan kami dan Shah."
(Good lah, I felt like coming up here. Also Rafie said he'd like to go out with us and Shah.)

His name is Ahmad Irfan, or Irfan just for short. A colleague and very close friend of Khairul, he owns a modified Subaru WRX, in a livery similar to that of drivers like Colin McRae or Richard Burns. The two continued to converse about what had happened over the week, along with some funny stories thrown in. 

Conversations continued into the night, with many cans of Nescafe, Red Bull and Monster powering them. Just as people were about to leave, a Series 2 Lotus Exige S pulled into the lot. It made quite the entrance, revving its Inline-4 engine. It was a bright white, a simple colour scheme. Many stared down at the newcomer, most of the other drivers there giving comments about how the owner is probably some rich kid and the car was ✨daddy's money✨. Previous conversations now stopped by the arrival of this...guy. The car pulled into a lot, and a loud silence hung over the entire parking lot. A figure stepped out.

A/N: and thats the 1st chapter, this is like the first time Ive written something in a generation. So please do let me know if I need to improve something, thank you owo