Chapter 10: Borderline.

The backfire of an exhaust and the white of a turbocharger echoed through the mountain roads on a Tuesday Night. A turbocharged V6 engine on the limit as its car, an FL5 Civic Type R hugs the inside of a turn. Behind the wheel sits a driver donning a pair of orange-tinted glasses. Tiago Tadashi Carvalho. 

A fairly new addition to Khai's 2nd friend group, the 1st being him, Irfan, Shah and Rafie. The new friend group had Khai, Tiago and Ellis. Tiago is a International student. Originally part of a school exchange program , he had recently made the decision to officially make the transfer to Khai's school and live in Tema City for the time being.  

He upshifted into the next gear, feeling himself sink back into his seat, as his hands gripped harder on the steering wheel. Constantly fighting with the resistance of the wheel was a task, more so at over 100 kph and facing gravity going uphill. Majority of the races Tiago had seen in his short time at Genting A110, were downhill. Where cars, with the assistance of gravity, sped down and wound around the twisting corners. On a uphill run, gravity becomes your enemy. And the pure horsepower, traction effort of your car, and your tires' grip is what could make or break your race. 

However, in Tiago's case, going uphill might be a good thing. His Civic Type R had a modified engine, with power going straight to the front wheels. On a downhill run, it could spell disaster. With the higher power and the aid of gravity, understeer rules his car in corners, where the tires refuse to grip the road and rotate the car going into the corner.

"C'mon...I could beat this Alex guy in an uphill, so what if he's driving an all-wheel drive? He's definitely some kind of guy looking for trouble.." he mumbled under his breath.

His car hit the top of the mountain, passing the start/finish line. Ellis and Khai were standing behind a guardrail at the line, with Khai holding a stopwatch. Even though Tiago already had a timer in his car, never hurt to record a extra time.

"And..That's a new uphill record." He clicked the stopwatch.

Ellis watched as the Honda pulled over. The tall youth stepping out. Approaching the other two, he looked at the video he had recorded from his dashcam. The dashcam had sent the video of his run to his phone, for easy analysis.

The young men watched the video, however Khai kept a constant eye on the tachometer. The constant bouncing of the needle between 2 lines on the gauge.

"Tiago, do you do that thing where you bounce your foot on the accelerator while going through a corner?"

The Malay man enquired, the taller male nodded.

"Wasn't that the style of Ayrton Senna?" Ellis jutted in.

"Yep, it's weird to see it outside of F1 cars." Khai added on.

The young men continued to watch the video, watching Tiago's hand and leg movements in the car as it glided through the corners and up the mountain.

The next morning, 5am. Tiago was out on Genting again, runs going up the hill, using slightly worn tires. He passes the line, Ellis standing at the same place.

"Thanks again for being here, Ellie. Where is Khai anyways?" The Brazilian got out of his car.

"He's out helping his boss remember? Irfan is on vacation with his girl." The other replied.

"Can't believe he ain't helping out his friend."

"I'm sure he has his reasons.."

"By the way, what's up with the worn tires?"

The other pointed to Tiago's tires. They were clearly worn and would give the car less grip on the roads.

"Well, if I find it easy to drive on worn tires, I can push for faster times easier on fresh ones. I'm getting new tires for my Civic on Wednesday."

"I kinda see the logic there, rad."

Ellis took a sip of his drink, looking towards the horizon. The sun crept over slowly, as Tema City started to wake up. And others went to sleep.

"Hey, Tiago. Do you think..Khai likes me?"

The Brazilian turned his head at the other, he simply responded with a shrug.

"Khai is a upfront person, if he liked you he would've confessed, right?"

"True. But..there's something about him, that sort of attracts me too. I don't know what it is but.."

Ellis looked back down.

"Are..are you fluste- oh my god you are flustered aren't you?"

"SHUT UP ALRIGHT- I LIKE HIS TINY GREMLIN ASS-"

"SO YOU DO LIKE HIM-"

"WAIT THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT BY LIKE YOU FUCK-"

"Wait, you like Khai back like a friend or... More than that?"

"M-More than that...I-I don't know! My feelings are all..."

He put his coffee down and put his head in his hands. Feeling a pat on the back, Tiago was standing a bit closer, now comforting his friend.

"I guess..we'll find out."