Chapter 19

Seori stares at her friend across the small table, waiting patiently for her to cool down after her little  outburst when she finally arrived at the cafe just ten minutes ago.Soojin gave her no time to speak as she dragged her into the cafe, ordered  two cups of coffee at the cashier and requested the most secluded table he has in the cafe.

They have been sitting there for quite a while in dead silence, tension filling the air between them and it takes every ounce of Seori's self-control not to run out of the cafe and lock herself anywhere. Anywhere away from mad Soojin.

"Park Seori", Soojin speaks in a strained voice. "You owe me an explanation"

Seori gulps at her tone, knowing exactly what she was referring to.

"Park Seori"

Seori recognizes that tone, the one Soojin uses when she wants a solid hones answer. She calls it her 'lawyer voice' and Seori hates it because she will eventually coax an answer out of her. Soojin is undeniably a fearless and an assertive lawyer and she has won countless cases throughout her career. She has a side that is dominant and powerful, and her presence intimidates everyone that stands in the same room with her.

And Soojin clearly knows the power she has and she uses it when she wants something.

"You skipped all your therapy sessions for three months. You rejected all my calls and replied to none of my texts. I do not care about the calls and the texts. But why did you skip all your sessions?"

Seori feels her throat closing up, her eyes dropping from Soojin's face to look at her cup of coffee that is now getting colder by the second. She plays with her fingers on her lap, tugging on the hem of her shirt, her feet shuffling awkwardly under the table.

Soojin spots the sudden shift in Seori's demeanor and she leans back onto her chair, sighing. She knows all the signs when Seori is getting anxious and slowly being swallowed into her headspace. She knows them all too well.

"Seori, answer me, please?"

"I don't like the therapy sessions anymore"

"Why?"

"I don't feel comfortable", Seori shrinks in her chair, pressing her lips nervously. "The sessions have been eating me inside and all they do is remind me of how I have lost Taeri"

Soojin's gaze softens but something flashes behind her eyes and she leans forward with a straight look. "Seori"

Seori does not look up, her eyes fixated on her feet.

"Seori, please look at me", Soojin pleads softly. "I made an oath to take care of you. I swore on my life and promised Taeri I will look after you. I am keeping that oath and bringing it to my goddamn grave. I am not kidding about this"

"I know", Seori sighs softly, finally meeting Soojin's eyes. "I know, Soojin. I know"

"Then you lean on me. I am your friend too. I hope you trust me enough to let me be the friend you turn to when things get too rough. I know you are picking up the pieces after Taeri's death. I am too", Soojin breathes in hard, like she is holding her emotions. "It has been hard for me too. I am barely picking up pieces of me after her death but that does not mean you cannot count on me when things get hard for you"

Seori stares at her friend, her heart sinking to her stomach at the way Soojin covers her little sobs. She knows Soojin is the tough type, not the one to shed a tear with other people present and always the one to take charge even when she is dealing with something too.