Chapter 39

"Oh hello there, I have never met you", Jiyeon offers a hand to Seori. "My name is Hyun Jiyeon, I am Taehyung's girlfriend"

A long awkward beat passes between the four of them, and the swift change in the air does not go unnoticed. There is something heavy hanging in the air as they watch Jiyeon happily offers her hand to Seori for a handshake. And Seori is just standing there, looking at her with millions of questions in her eyes.

"Hello", Seori replies nervously, her eyes wavering. "I am -"

"You are not Taehyung's girlfriend", Miyeon steps in between them, scoffing harshly as she bats Jiyeon's hand away. "Correction, you are his ex-girlfriend"

Blood drains out of Jiyeon's face, and she reads the situation quickly. Her eyes shift to Seori and her face dims.

"You broke up two years ago", Miyeon says.

Jiyeon looks doubtful for a second but then out of nowhere, she laughs to herself. "Oh yes, we did. But we recently reconciled when Taehyung came to Seoul the other today. We met and talked. He asked me to come back to him and start over, thus here I am"

Seori feels her head spin at Jiyeon's words, suddenly everything is a blur as her stomach dips. Her skin feels tight as chills creep all over her, and her ears are ringing as she replays everything Jiyeon has just said, over and over. She can feel Yoon Jung's eyes on her, but she cannot bring herself to even look up from the ground.

The shock that goes through her body seems to pull her insides into a twist. Something is crashing within her - her heart, or her trust, or maybe just her, entirely.

"Seori", Miyeon calls her name, softly tugging on her elbow.

"Maybe...I should leave", Seori quickly pulls the apron off her waist, putting it aside and when she turns around, Yoon Jung is already standing behind her, looking at her with apologetic eyes. "I will take my leave, Madam Kim"

"No, please-"

"I am sorry, I cannot be here", Seori shakes her head, snatching her phone and keys on her way out and she cannot even bear to spare Jiyeon a glance.

Miyeon debates going after Seori but she needs to deal with Jiyeon first. So she lets her leave, although feeling the guilt tugging on her heart when she remembers Seori's expression.

"Why are you here?", Yoon Jung finally speaks. "Did Taehyung really ask you to come?"

Jiyeon nods, but Miyeon does not look convinced.

"You are a fucking liar", Miyeon snaps, walking up to Jiyeon. "Did he really ask you to come back here?"

"Yes", Jiyeon stands upright. "Taehyung asked me to come here to start over. Why is it hard to believe?"

Miyeon withdraws from her, eyebrows furrowed in confusion and disbelief. She glances at Yoon Jung, hoping for her to say something about this. But Taehyung's mother look conflicted herself, and Miyeon can see the doubts pooling in her eyes.

"Who was that girl?", Jiyeon clears her throat as she places her bag on the dining table, acting as if she belongs there. "Is that- "

"That's Seori", Miyeon cuts her off with a defiant look.

"Oh", JIyeon shrugs her shoulders, awkwardly patting her dress as she looks at Yoon Jung with hopeful eyes. "When will Taehyung be back?"

YoonJung winces at the question. "If he had contacted you, shouldn't you already know?"