The Movies

The next day was Friday and I went back to school after getting up. I skipped out on breakfast because there wasn't anything to eat and I didn't want to ask my parents.

My nose was sore and the stitches in my cheek irritated me. But I very gently put water on it then headed out the house.

I walked down the street and realized that Soda, Ponyboy, and Darry's house was on my regular walking path.

I walked past their house remembering last night with a feeling of melancholy. I didn't see anyone, like usual, and just walked down the street more.

By the time I got to school class would start in a few minutes.

I went to my classes and avoided Socs as much as I could so that they couldn't pick on me or push me around. By lunch time I sat by myself at a table and ate the nasty school meatloaf but as I sat down Two-Bit and Ponyboy showed up and sat down at my table. I was too shocked to say anything at first as my heart took a wicked leap.

"Hey Julia," Ponyboy says slicking back a piece of his half blond and half brown hair.

"Whatcha up to?" Two-Bit asks.

"Oh the same ole. Go to school. Go home. Repeat." I reply.

"Hmm. Well me and Ponyboy and Soda are going to go see a movie tonight you wanna come." Two-Bit says.

"It's been a while since I went to a movie." Ponyboy says quietly.

"I have only gone to a movie once. With my friends five years ago. But they moved away." I say. "Why haven't you gone to a movie in a while?" I ask. I remember Darry telling us at dinner that Ponyboy likes books and movies.

Ponyboy looked down and his expression went unreadable. "I... Me and-"

Two-Bit looked quiet and concerned at Ponyboy. "Well you want to come Jules?" He changed the subject.

I smiled and quickly said yes then finished lunch.

When I left lunch the rest of the day flew by with the unfamiliar feeling of looking forward to something. I even found myself smiling in class when thinking about tonight.

When the final bell rang I left the classroom grabbed my stuff and walked out the school.

Some Socs pointed and laughed about my stitches and bruised nose but it didn't even bother me.

On the walk home it felt faster than usual. Even though walking hurt my bruised side pretty bad I found myself distracted and happy. When I passed up the local DX a car rolled up next to me and stopped.

I tensed up cus I thought the Socs we're going to jump me again but instead when the window rolled down Soda and Steve were in the car.

"Hop in Jules," Soda says with a grin.

I grin back and jump into the back seat. The cars seats were cracked but otherwise comfortable. The car looked old but it was a car and many greasers didn't have that.

"You guys have a car?" I asked touching the seat. I had never been in a car before.

"It's Two-Bit's, he is letting us use it because we had to run an errand for him. Pretty neat huh?" Steve says looking back at me.

I nod and roll the window down. They start the car after a few attempts and I stick my head out of the window.

The wind blew my blond hair around crazy and made my face tingle. I knew my hair would be knotted later but I didn't car. I felt free but safe. I always had a little too much freedom to where it felt lonely. But this felt great. I am with people who seemed to care and felt free. It is so different.