Nightime News

After the party I walked next to Cassie and we trailed a little behind the group so they couldn't hear us.

"Well?" I ask smiling at her.

"Well, it was fun. We danced and we talked a little. He seemed like he really didn't want to be dancing with me though." Cassie says looking down at the pavement.

"That's because, my dear friend, when someone shy like Ponyboy is with someone he likes he is awkward and probably would rather be anywhere else." I say nudging her with my elbow.

"You think so?" She asks a flicker of hope in her eyes but then it disappears.

"I am almost certain." I say giving her an encouraging smile.

Cassie bends down and picks up a piece of cardboard off the street. She stands up and smiles sweetly at me then hits the back of my head with it.

"Hey!" I say putting a hand up to defend my head.

"That... Is what you.. get... For... Pushing me... And Ponyboy... Together!" She exclaims in between hitting me with the cardboard.

"You done now?" I ask with a smirk.

She nods.

"What about you then? I saw you and Soda dancing and talking a lot." She says wiggling her eyebrows.

"Soda? Oh... Well- I mean... Why would-" I take a breath. "Why, um, what do you mean?" I ask.

"You look at him and smile a lot. And he looks at you all the time. Plus, y'all we dancing together and it looked like y'all were having fun." She says.

I feel my face redden. "I don't know. I don't want things to be weird. So I do what friends would do with him. But they feel different. I don't want to like him. I really like the gang and if I mess things up with them then I have to go back to my old life." I say looking away from Cassie and scanning the street.

"And what was your-" Cassie starts to say.

"Here is where we break away." I say. "Do you want me to walk you home?" I ask.

"No, my house isn't that far you go along with them." She says pointing over at the white house a few houses down.

I jog and catch up with the gang. "Cassie left and went home." I explain.

I watch as the gang nods and Ponyboy looks back worriedly in the direction of where Cassie went.

"Do you think she is all right walking home by herself?" Ponyboy asked the group.

"She should be fine." I say.

"Why do you ask?" Soda says with a knowing smile.

"I erm... I was just wondering so that she stays safe." Ponyboy says a blush starting to form on his cheeks.

"You like her don't you!" Soda says unable to contain his excitement.

I inwardly laugh at Soda and focus on Ponyboy.

"I- I, is it that obvious?" He asks putting his head down.

Soda squeals like a kid and starts jumping around Ponyboy. "I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!" He exclaims.

"My kid brother likes someone..." Darry says cheerfully and messes up Ponyboy's hair as Ponyboy swats at Darry.

Two-Bit grins at Ponyboy. "You gonna make a move on her?" He asks giving him a smirk.

"You have to Ponyboy!" I say giving him an encouraging smile.

"Well... What if she doesn't like me back. And aren't I a little young to be dating? I don't want to just have Cassie as my girlfriend for a year and break up like everyone else does." He says.

"Ponyboy, If you are with the person you love and who loves you back... If you are with the person you are supposed to be with in life, you wouldn't break up after a year of dating. You would get through all that together." I say patting him on the back.

"What if we aren't meant to be together?" He asks.

"Then it would be a good thing if you break up." Two-Bit says.

"Ok... I will think about it. I don't even know what to do." He says unsurely.

"We can show you a few of our moves." Two-Bit says with a smirk.

"And I can tell you which ones are acceptable." I interject.

"Thanks guys." Ponyboy says.

The group continue talking about stories of dates they went on and different girls that they were with. I laughed along with them but I noticed that Soda was suddenly quiet. And was looking away down at the road.

I look at him and he turns his head and locks eyes with me. I raise an eyebrow and he gives me a smile. But it was wrong. His heart wasn't in it and it was brittle.

We walked the rest of the way and I kept shooting Soda concerned looks. Eventually Steve broke away from the group and we reached the Curtis's house.

I continued walking the way to my house alone and Two-Bit headed back to his house.

When I got to my house I went inside and changed into sleeping clothes. I brushed my teeth and looked at my scar for a while unhappily.

I went to go lay down in bed when as I walk to my room I hear a knock on the door. I walk to the door and hear the sound of rain starting to pour. I open it and I feel my face twist up in shock.

"Soda?" I ask.