My Father

The next morning I wake up later than usual and get dressed and brush my hair. While I am brushing my teeth I hear a knock at the door.

I spit the toothpaste out and wipe my mouth as I rush to the door. I open it and see Sodapop and Two-Bit standing there.

"Want to come over and hang?" Soda asks.

"Yea sure." I turn around worriedly and see my parents in the kitchen looking at me curiously. "Let's go quickly."

We head down the stairs and get to the sidewalk when I hear my front door open.

"Jules, who are they?" My dad asks angrily.

Soda and Two stop and look at my father so I turn around also.

"These are my friends, dad." I say and turn to Soda and Two and whisper, "Go home guys, I don't want you to have to deal with him."

Soda glances at me and gives me a small encouraging smile as he steps in front of me to get in between my father and me.

My dad scoffs and looks Soda up and down. "A friend huh?"

I sigh and say exhausted, "Yes, dad,  you know someone you hang out and talk-"

"I know what a friend is you brat," He says angrily.

"What did you call her?" Soda and Two-Bit say angrily.

I grab Soda and Two's hand and tug on it to stop them but they shake me off.

"Do we have a problem, boys? Are you guys going to tell me how I should treat my daughter." My dad says glaring down at them.

"You call her your daughter but I don't think you even know her. She is incredible and I don't know how you can't see that. She doesn't deserve you as a father. And you definitely don't deserve a daughter as good as her." Soda says with his hands in a fist.

My dad's face turns red with anger and after a pause he says, "she doesn't deserve me as a father. She is selfish and ungrateful for everything we do for her. I wish she wasn't my daughter."

I feel tears in my eyes and I step in front of Soda and Two and look my dad dead in the eye.

"I wish you weren't my father! I wish I had a father who loved me. I wish I had a father who cared about me." I wipe the tear that fell from my eyes. "And even worse I wish I didn't care about the father I have. I wish that I could stop caring about you and what you think. I have tried to stop caring for the past ten years!"

My dad looks down at me speechless, but I didn't need him to say anything. I turn around and run down the street. I keep running as fast as I can and I don't know where to go. I run to the only place I can think of where to go when I am upset.

I run to the parking lot where Soda and I had been that one night the other day.

I sit down with my head in my hands. I don't cry this time. I will go back to the Curtis's house soon. But I just need some alone time right now.

I sit against the wall thinking things over for a while. I had only ever told Soda that I cared about my parents. I hadn't wanted them to know that I care. I wanted to appear tough to the gang and my parents.

I guess it's too late now though.

I stand up and lean my head against the brick wall and kick it.

I let out a frustrated scream and have a dry sob. I take a deep breath and lean against the wall.

When I am ready I started walking back to the Curtis's house.

I hear car tires and see a Soc car pull up behind me.

I let out an exasperated sigh. And I take off running because they aren't that close to me. I was slightly tired from just running but I was still fast and run all the way to the Curtis's house. They were right behind me and got out the car as I run up to the front door and rush in.

Soda and Two jump up and I lean against the door as I cath my breath.

"Jules, I'm so sorry," Soda says.

I hold up a hand to stop him. "Socs... Outside... Chased me" I say in between breaths.

They nod and we all go outside and Darry and Ponyboy come outside also. The Socs rush into the car. The gang rush to the car and kick it and beat on the windows and the car rushes off. Two-Bit flips them off as it drives away. And I choke out a laugh.

We go back inside and I sit in between Soda and Ponyboy on the couch.

"Are you okay Jules?" Two-Bit asks and I know he doesn't mean about the Socs.

"I'm fine. Really don't worry about me." I say.

"It's okay to not be okay, you know," Soda says.

I don't respond at first and pause and say, "I know, but it's also okay to be okay, right?" I say with a false cheery smile. "So leave it."

"Can I at least go on and on about how awful your father is?" Two-Bit asks with a smile.

"Sure, knock yourself out." I say starting to smile.

"He really is awful. He has that kinda of face that makes you want to punch him..." Two-Bit starts and we laugh as he goes on and on.

While he is talking Soda takes his hand and slips it under mine. I look over at him with a small smile. He takes his thumb and rubs my hand with it and I feel my heart flutter.

I look around at my friend's and feel a surge of affection for them. They have been there for me when I needed them and I couldn't ask for better friends.