Night Adventure

I woke back up after a few minutes and couldn't fall back to sleep.

I leaned my head against the back of the couch and after a few minutes Ponyboy came in and sat down next to me.

"I'm glad your here Jules." He says. "I know you may worry that you are a burden on us or something, but we like you here." He looks back at his room where Soda is. "We love that you are here and you can stay with us as long as you want."

"Aww, thanks Pony," I say with a smile. "I love coming here too."

He gives me a hug and says goodnight and I lay against the couch. I start to try closing my eyes and a few minutes later I hear the door open and Darry comes into the room.

He grabs a pen and goes back into his room and says goodnight. I close my eyes and try to fall asleep but I can't so I lay awake thinking. I hear a floor board creak and open my eyes quickly.

I see Soda there with his foot in the air and obviously was trying to tip toe.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Soda says.

"Nah, I have been awake, can't sleep." I say.

"Me either, I was coming out here to get a drink to help me sleep." Soda says.

I sit up and rub my eyes. "I'll join you." I say as I get up off the couch on walk into the kitchen with him.

I sit down at the table and he pours two glasses of milk. He puts the milk cartoon in the fridge and sits down next to me.

"Why can't you sleep?" He asks me.

"Oh, I just keep thinking and thinking. My mind doesn't seem to want to rest. How about you?" I say and look at him from over my glass.

"I had a lot on my mind. I felt like I needed to do something. To get up and move." He says and takes a sip of milk.

"Yeah I get that a lot. I just randomly want to go outside and do something." I say and look over at him and I our brains seemed to have clicked.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" He asks.

"That we go outside and do something fun?" I ask with a smirk.

"You know it," Soda says and we grab our shoes and a coat and head outside making sure to close the screen door quietly.

"On the count of three. One... Two... Three!" I yell and take his hand and we run down the street.

"Where are we going?" Soda yells as we run as fast as we can.

"Someplace special," I say smiling as I take a turn and run down the street, take another turn and run into the field.

The grass was tall but soft and brushed up to your knees. The stars were twinkling in the sky so many that you could never count them all. The trees around the field reached up to the sky and tickled the stars. I could hear crickets and bugs chirping on the ground covering up the sound of everything else.

"Sometimes in the city we forget that we have fields and forests. And I like to find them to remind me that this is Earth. This is it's natural beauty. And it calms me." I say looking around and see that Soda is looking around at the trees and grass.

"It's amazing." Soda says and I hear the awe in his voice.

"My mom and dad brought me here when I was younger," I say brushing my fingertips on the grass. "It was one of the only times that I felt they loved and cared for me. We had a picnic over there. And we played music as my dad put me on his shoulders. My mom was smiling and laughing. No drink in her hand." I smile softly as I look at the spot in the grass where it happened. I used to sit there so much that the grass died around it.

I look over at Soda and see that he is staring at me with his mouth open and I feel myself blush, I was suddenly thankful for the darkness.

"You didn't have to bring me here." Soda says looking at me.

"Oh but I wanted to. I used to come here when I was sad or lonely and would lay in the grass remembering how happy I was. It almost lost it's joy because I was always sad when I came here. I need a new happy memory here. So that it will always be special." I say and smile at him.

I run up to him and tap him yelling, "tag!" And he chases me through the grass.

I laugh as I run around in circles until he stops and I run into him and he tags me. Then I chase him and he trips and stumble and fall onto him. I would've hit the ground and Soda been on top of me but he grabbed me and put his arms around me and I ended up falling onto of him and not getting hurt.

I look over at Soda and feel myself blush again. I roll to the side and we lay next to each other in the grass. We looked up at the stars in silence for a bit.

"You know anything about stars?" Soda asks breaking the comfortable silence.

"Not a clue. Though I did name my own constellation!" I exclaim smiling.

"Oh yeah? Where is it and what did you name it?" He asks and I look over and see him smiling.

I laugh nervously because I named it when I was ten. "His name is Yuka. I named him Yuka because he looked like an alien." I point up to the stars that make him and hear Soda laugh.

"Don't laugh! I was ten!" I exclaim defending myself.

"I'm not making fun of you, I just thinks it cute." He says and looks over at me with a smile.

I smile back and we turn back to the stars. I sat thinking in silence when I felt something touch my hand. Soda had put his hand right next to mine and touched my hand with a finger. I couldn't help but smile at the gesture and I put my hand into his. I look over at him and he is staring straight up at the sky but I see him flash a smile and then try to hide it.

I jump up with a sudden urge to dance and be crazy. I start doing awful dance moves because it fun and Soda looks over me like I'm crazy then jumps up and dances with me too. We danced around doing awful awkward moves and we were laughing so hard we almost couldn't breath. I take his hand and make him start dancing with me and he twirls me and my hair flies around me.

I fall onto the ground laughing and he sits down next to me. I lift my head up and smile at him as he looks down at me. I feel my eyelids start to get heavy and then I feel Soda take my hand and pull me up swiftly.

"You need to go to bed, sleepyhead." He says and starts pulling me by the hand to bring me back to his house.

"Ok, but you snore too much for me to get any sleep." I say lifting a hand up in defense.

"Me? I don't snore, you must've heard Darry. He sounds like a dinosaur when he sleeps." Soda says looking at me with a grin.

I laugh and we get back onto the road and start walking home. I lean my head on his side as we walk and he wraps a warm arm around my shoulders.

When I get back to their house I lay down and fall asleep thinking of all the fun memories that I can smile to in the future.