Runaway

All Sunday I stayed I my room with the door locked. Sometimes on Sunday I would go to church and sit while looking through a window. But this Sunday I was still too upset to do anything.

Monday morning I got up got dressed and left my house early. I didn't want to run into my parents even though they probably wouldn't speak to me.

I left the house and started the walk to school. I looked around at the foggy morning and looked at the mil dew on the grass and thought quietly. I thought about my parents. The gang that probably doesn't like me. And about how useless my life is at the moment.

I wanted to do something, to be someone. I want to change this life of greasers and Socs and help people realize that we are all just people.

I got to school and went to my first hour. The day went by slowly. I go to class I zone out but not enough to not understand what's going on. I leave the class. Then, repeat.

By lunch time I ate the schools strange spaghetti. I grabbed my lunch tray and sat down at my usual table in the corner by myself. Just last Friday Ponyboy and Two-Bit had invited me to the movies. I had been so happy to talk to someone then. I know now they probably were being polite.

I pick at the spaghetti and eat a little bit of it then I hear footsteps and Ponyboy and Two-Bit appear and sit in front of me.

Maybe they actually liked talking and hanging out with me. I tried not to get my hopes up.

"Hey Pony, hey Two-Bit." I say feeling my spirits rise.

"Hey Jules." Ponyboy says.

"Do you sit in this sad corner everyday during lunch?" Two-Bit asks.

"Pretty much. On occasions it is a pleasant corner." I say with a smile.

"Come on. Why don't you come sit over with us. I have a few friends over there that you might like. Though they are kind of violent." Two-Bit says.

"Aren't we all." Is all that I reply with.

I sit down and Two-Bit introduces me to Tim Shepherd and his younger brother Curly. And their gang. They all look tough.

Tim looks stern and I have seen him in plenty of fights. Him and the Shepherd gang.

I fi had any thoughts about meeting these people being awkward I was wrong. Two-Bit was cracking wise cracks while curly tells a story about him and Pony when they were younger.

I interject a few time too to make comments and ended up making a few smile and laugh. It was the best lunch I had ever had.

When we were done eating I bid goodbye and headed to class again. Class was still fatally boring but I was more aware and my spirits were up.

I left school and instead of going home I went to the park. There I ran around by myself but I had something to do and it was nice. But then I remembered Ponyboy telling me that Johnny had killed a Soc here.

I looked around. Ponyboy said he was drowned in the fountain so Johnny must have killed him over there somewhere.

I go over to the fountain and see no sign of any crime done here. It's crazy how over time things disappear.

I stay at the park until the sun is sitting on the horizon. I walk back home and walk up the steps to my house. I reach for the door handle but before I can open it the door flies open and my dad is standing there looking furious.

"Where have you been?" He asks.

"Out," I say.

"That is not an answer. Answer me!" He says, his deep voice booming.