1|Over My Dead Body

Updated 9/23/2022

~Sophomore Year~

My knee bounces at the speed of light, the bottom of my shoe tapping against the hardwood floor of the kitchen belonging to someone I don't even know. The rational part of my mind is telling me no one can hear it over the bass-thumping music but the other side of my brain, the one that's nervous and freaking out, doesn't believe it.

"You sure you don't want a drink?" I ask for the billionth fucking time in the last ten minutes.

The girl beside me shakes her head, making long chocolate brown hair slide back and forth over her exposed back.

If this were any other girl, I wouldn't care. I'd take my loss and move on for the night, look for someone else to spend my time with. But Millie isn't just any girl, she's my best friend. To some that might not mean much, but to me it means everything. She means everything. Even if she doesn't know it.

For a best friend, she sure didn't take your advice about wearing that damn dress.

A heavy sigh fills my lungs as my eyes rake over the back of her dress, the one with practically no back to it, the red material only starting from the top of her ass on down. I told her she shouldn't wear it, call it selfish, but whatever. Of course, it's not like she asked for my opinion anyway. Not when she's barely fucking talking to me.

"Mill—"

"I'm gonna go see what Elsie and Tally are doing," she quickly announces, jumping down from the kitchen bar stool beside me.

I nod, not that she notices as she runs out of the room and into the more crowded sections of the party.

It's been like this all night; her avoiding me, running from me, barely speaking a word to me. It's maddening. Especially when I've got no fucking clue what I did wrong.

"Any luck?" a familiar voice asks from behind.

I spin in my chair to meet the faces of my two cousins, Jun and Eric. Our moms' are sisters. The super close kind that plans their entire lives together, even down to having kids at the same time. Well, roughly the same time. I'm the oldest, Jun's two months after me, and Eric's three months after him.

Shaking my head, I run my hand through my hair, pushing the dark strands out of my face. "Nope. No fucking luck at all."

"What did you do?" Eric asks, pushing himself up to sit on the kitchen island, ignoring the death glares sent his way for taking up valuable drink space.

"I don't know. We were fine last week when we talked about coming here but ever since I picked her up from Andrea's, she's been giving me the cold shoulder."

Jun's dark eyes narrow. "Why was she at Andrea's?"

I shrug. "'Cause they're friends?"

"Not that close of friends though," Eric adds.