2| Pathetic

My feet move with a mind of their own, taking off to follow Millie's trail

"Sean!" Andrea shouts but it's too late, I'm already gone, leaving that room in my dust.

I shove my way through the hall and down the stairs. Weaving around the crowd on the first floor, I keep having to stop and look for any sign of dark chocolate hair carving a path through the space. But she must've ditched her heels to disappear beneath the canopy of heads 'cause I can't seem to find her.

"Millie!" I shout above the music.

A head in the masses turns my way, those soul-searing blue eyes meeting mine before she ducks out the front door.

"Millie!" I call again, taking off after her.

Once outside, I spot her running barefoot across the lawn, her dark hair wiping in the night breeze. For someone who normally stands around taking pictures in her free time, she's fast as hell. But I'm faster. I jump off the porch and sprint to catch up.

"Stop!" I shout, closing the distance between us. "Damn it, Emmeline, stop!"

Her given name does the trick, halting her in her muddy tracks.

"What's going on?" I ask through deep breaths. "Why the fuck are you running from me?"

Slowly, she turns around. Those big blue eyes hesitantly lock with mine, rimmed in red with a single tear escaping down her cheek.

"Millie," I whisper, stepping forward, my heart aching at seeing her like this.

"Don't!" She snaps, stepping back. "I... I can't do this anymore."

"Do what? The game? Mill, we don't have to play some stupid game. Hell, we don't even have to stay at this fucking party. If you wanna go home, I'll walk you."

Wrapping her arms around herself, she shakes her head. "No... I... I can't do this anymore. Us, Sean."

Something inside me starts to splinter and fray. "What the hell does that even mean?"

"It means..." She wipes at her face. "It means I-I can't be your friend a-anymore."

For the third time tonight, a sharp pain stabs me in the center of my chest. Only this time, it comes with a heaviness that makes it hard to breathe. Like someone slammed a spear into my heart and just keeps pushing it deeper, forcing the painful thing all the way down until it won't go anymore. The weight of it makes my knees feel like they might give out from under me.

"Why the fuck not?"

Millie sniffles, her eyes refusing to meet mine no matter how much I mentally beg her to.

Don't do this, Millie. Please!

"I-I just can't," she answers vaguely, making a fire grow from deep inside me.