7| Good Deed

Last night feels like a bad dream

Last night feels like a bad dream. A shocking, painful, and humiliating bad dream. Well... mostly bad anyway.

As soon as I got in the house, I went straight to my room and crawled into bed. Cookie wasn't far behind, cuddling beside me as if he knew something was wrong. And while I slept, I had a dream of near-black eyes and soft whispers and softer caresses as I was pressed against a wall with nothing to help my sight other than a blue glow from a nearby pool. Of course, in my dream things went much further and felt almost as real as what actually happened at the party.

But after an hour of being awake, having woken up at four in the morning, my mind has had time to process and separate the real from the dream. And with that, even the painful memories are back. Images of Jackson with Andrea's legs wrapped around him invade my thoughts. Flashes of them together, of his panicked face, of the looks thrown my way by my classmates. All of it is on repeat, each one hitting me with steady jolts of pain in my head and my chest, and it's giving me a serious migraine.

It doesn't help either that the first thing I do before even sliding out of bed is check social media on my phone. Instantly, I find posts about last night. People drinking, making out, and having all kinds of wicked fun. But after scrolling down a little, I find exactly what I was dreading, pictures and videos of me running from the party, Jackson chasing me, and Sean stepping in. There are even a few from the moments after I left with Andrea flaunting her half-naked body in front of everyone and Sean attacking Jackson.

Guess he was telling the truth about that.

After that, there's a few more of Jackson bleeding on the floor, Elsie storming in to kick him in the nuts, and then what looks like an argument between Sean and Andrea in the front yard. But before I can bother looking into those more or playing one of the small video clips taken, a stream of comments catches my eye.

"Guess Jackson finally realized he could do better."

"It's about damn time!"

"Why would a guy like him be with someone like Millie Price anyway?"

"Basketball captain and school photographer. A match made in heaven. YEAH RIGHT!"

"It was only a matter of time."

"Well if she was doing what she should and taking care of him, this never would've happened."

"I heard she's a tease and got what she deserved. Andrea would be a better match for him anyway."

"But did y'all see Dean go beast mode?!?! Holy shit!"

I shut off my phone and toss it on my bed, startling Cookie awake. With a heavy sigh, I drag my hands through my tangled hair and glare at the device like it's cursed.

Knew this would happen. Fucking knew it!

Gathering Cooking in my arms, I softly step out of my room and into the dark hall, leaving my phone behind. I pass by Mom's room, not the least bit surprised to find it empty and tidy just as she left it before heading downstairs to the kitchen. Once I have Cookie set up with a fresh bowl of water, I grab a bottle of water and some pain reliever before leaning against the counter. I take the meds and once I set my bottle down, my eyes slowly drift toward the window, noticing the lights out next door. Before I can stop it, Sean's words from last night wiggle into my mind.