six: provided protection

late night cases always had you sleeping on the couch in the police station because you liked to be close to the work. it was much like how morgan was when he was the temporary person in charge while they tried to find a replacement for hotch. you just liked being able to follow leads, get more evidence, and fully involve yourself in the case to help these innocent victims. 

while you were starting to fall asleep reading through the case file, reid came over to you and placed a hand gently on your shoulder. your hand instinctively reached up to his as you kept reading, beginning to fall asleep.

"hey, babe, since it's like, nearly twelve o'clock at night, why don't you come back to the hotel?" reid asked you, looking at the case file you were reading. 

"i already have the blanket on the couch, spence. i'm okay," you told him as your hand stayed on his. he got closer, resting his head on your shoulder as you smiled, your eyes shifting away from the work as your head turned slightly. 

"_______, you're so tired. i know you are. and, you could sleep in my room," he said, nuzzling his head into the crook of your neck as you smiled, looking down towards the table as you let out a small sigh.

"spence, i could really use the time advantage in the morning-" you began but reid shook his head, pressing a light kiss to your neck as you smiled wider. your hand stayed on his as he nuzzled his head once more into the crook of your neck as you finally sighed. he knew he had you.

"fine," you said softly, squeezing his hand as he got the memo to let you stand up. you stood up, shutting the case file and putting it away as reid smiled at you while he watched you grab your bag and look back at him.

"you're lucky you're cute," you told him, grabbing his hand as he brought you to him quickly. he kept you close, pressing several kisses to your forehead. your smile never faded whnever he was holding you.

"okay, let's go," he said softly, pulling you along with him.
-

when the two of you got to the hotel room, reid unlocked the door and you walked inside first. you immediately went to where the bed was as you laid down, rolling onto your back to look at the ceiling as you contemplated the case details. 

when the door shut and you heard reid's bag being set down, you closed your eyes in pure content. the bed began to dip on either side of you which caused you to open your eyes to see what was going on and then felt reid fully lay down on top of you. 

you laughed, your fingers running themselves through his hair as he nuzzled his head back into the crook of your neck. you could feel him beginning to fall asleep but your mind was racing with thoughts on the case and wondering if the person was taking somebody right now.

"i know you're thinking about the case," reid muttered as your eyes shifted off the ceiling. 

"how do you know that?" you asked softly, your fingers still running through his hair as your legs were entangled together. 

you felt reid chuckle softly before his breath gently hit your neck. you closed your eyes as you enjoyed the moment. 

"because, babe, you seem to forget that i have been with you for over three years and you, my dear, are a stubborn mule when it comes to letting something go," he muttered. "especially a case."

your eyes opened as you focused back on the ceiling of the hotel room before speaking.

"well, what if somebody is out there right now being taken by our unsub? or what if he's dumping the body? or what if-"

reid sat up on his elbows as he looked down at you. 

"hey, hey, i'm sure it's okay. we don't know his time between kills yet," reid said, sitting up a little more as he reached his free hand up to gently brush some hair out of your face. 

"but, spence, what if they're out there hurting somebody right now?" you asked.

he sat up, causing you to sit up as you stared at him. 

"i promise you that we will catch him. we always do," he muttered, his left hand's fingers gently moving stray hairs away from your face and running themselves through your hair. "why are you so worried?"

"i'm always worried, spence," you said softly, your eyes observing his.

reid shook his head. 

"no, baby, you're even more worried during this case than the other cases that we've done. what's going on?" he questioned softly. your eyes stared back at his before you finally responded.

"um, spence," you began as he nodded. "i don't tell anybody this because it really doesn't concern anybody except myself, but," you continued as he nodded, his fingers still running through your hair as he kept you close. "this case is what happened to me, spence."

he paused with messing with your hair, warranting your eyes to meet his as he stared back at you.

"oh my God, you were-?" 

you nodded, saying it aloud softly. 

"kidnapped and hurt," you said, feeling your chest tightening as you began to say it aloud. your head began to hurt and tears began to fill your eyes. "i just- i was walking home from work one day and my boyfriend at the time wasn't there to protect me. but, it turns out," you said, wiping away a rolling tear. "he was the one who did it to me."

reid was mildly in shock. not once in the three years that you two had been dating had you ever mentioned anything about this to him. you bottled it up and your mind tried to suppress the symptoms of trauma from the experience. 

"baby, why didn't you tell me?" he asked. "i'm not mad in any means, i just. i want to protect you in every way possible and i want you to understand that i'm here for you in every way," he said. 

you leaned forwards, laying your head down on his chest as he kept you close. 

"i don't really like talking about it, spence," you muttered softly. 

he nodded in understanding. 

"i hope you can trust me. i really hope you can, but i understand if you can't," he said. 

you shifted your position on his chest as he looked down at you. 

"i trust you with all i've got, spence. you are my joy," you muttered. reid smiled to himself, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. "i love you."

"i love you too, sweetheart. i want you to feel safe, and i hope that i'm providing that to you."