seven: it wouldn't work

author's note: wrote one about this scene in little women (based on it) in my timmy imagines book, but i'm putting a spin on it for this book :)
-

tuesday morning was a normal one- much like it always was. you woke up, got dressed, and went to work. that afternoon, your phone began ringing as you answered it. upon hearing reid's voice you smiled to yourself. 

"hey, spence, how are you?" you asked him, hearing him respond as you nodded. "oh, you want me to come now? i have to- okay," you said, smiling to yourself as you began to walk to his office building from where you currently were. "yeah, i'm coming. um, spence, have you told anybody that we're together?" 

you sighed, walking around people as you kept making your way to the office building for the bau. 

"when are you going to tell them?" you asked him, waiting on a response but he didn't answer for a moment. "does it bother you that they don't know or do they already know? yeah, i'm almost there, spence. do you want to meet me outside?"

you nodded, arriving at the bau as you told him. he answered back that he was coming downstairs to talk to you as you hung up, waiting for him to come down to you.

when he finally got downstairs, he saw you waiting for him. 

"it's so good to see you," he said, coming over and pressing a gentle kiss to the side of your head. you smiled, looking up at him as you began to ask him the lingering question.

"so, spence, you said you haven't told them," you said to him, looking up at him. "so, what have you told them?" 

"i told them that it wouldn't work out because we're just friends and you're too good for me," he said as you laughed a little. 

"funny considering that i was the one who asked you out," you muttered, feeling him press another kiss to the side of your head. "but, spence, maybe since i'm here, i could just tell them that we're together."

he looked at you, confused a little. 

"why?" 

"do you not want them to know?" 

he smiled at you before responding. 

"_______, i want them to know, it's just that i don't want them to make it all weird whenever you come in the office. i mean, things have gone so well with them not knowing," he muttered, his hand still holding onto yours. 

"but, spence, i really want them to know," you told him. "it's exciting at first to sneak around and hide it for a while, but we've been together like three months. i think it's going to work out," you told him with a smile, feeling his hands holding yours tightly. "spence, come on. y'all don't have a case right now, so we could go tell people," you told him sweetly. 

he looked down at his watch momentarily before sighing, smiling down at you sweetly. 

"okay," he said as you smiled wider, your eyes sparkling more.

"really?" you asked in giddy excitement. 

"yeah, i mean, i need to shut morgan up anyways about him having the prettiest girlfriend," reid said as he pressed a kiss to your cheek. he took your hand in his as he led the two of you inside the bau building and into the elevator. 

when the doors shut, reid let out a nervous sigh. you looked up at him, seeing his eyes observing the elevator doors where he could see the reflection of you two on it. 

"it's going to be okay," you told him softly, tightening your hold on his hand. "you love me, right, spence?" 

he looked down at you, the fifth floor sound dinging as a notifcation that you two had made it to the floor. 

"of course i do," he said back, his eyes observing yours. 

"then trust me, spence," you said, standing on your tiptoes to give him a gentle kiss to his cheek before the elevator doors opened and reid cleared his throat. the two of you stepped out of the elevator as reid pulled you closer to him.

"maybe we should continue to act like we aren't together and then tell them?" reid asked as you nodded, squeezing his hand briefly before letting go and walking in behind him as the two of you started up a normal conversation. 

"hey, you two," morgan said as you both walked into the bau. "you two finally together or do i still win for having the prettiest girlfriend?" he asked as you furrowed your brows briefly. reid chuckled, smiling at morgan lightly before beginning to speak.

"like i've said to all of you, it wouldn't work out between us. we're just friends," he said as you nodded, crossing your arms as you stared up at morgan.

"besides, i still win the award for the prettiest best friend here," you muttered. "at least to reid."

morgan laughed as garcia walked over to where the three of you were. 

"hi! are you two finally together?" 

you laughed a little, reid smiling at her before explaining. 

"garcia, we're-"

"just friends, apparently," morgan finished his sentence for him as garcia furrowed her eyebrows in suspiscion. 

"there's no way. there's just no way," she said. "i have seen her here the last few weeks, there's no way you guys are just friends."

"we aren't. we're best friends," you corrected as she nudged your shoulder while laughing.

"i highly doubt it. unless you're friends who get together every night," she said. 

your eyes shifted to reid's briefly as prentiss walked over.

"oh my gosh, you guys. you finally got together!" she said, seeing your eyes shift to hers. 

"we didn't," reid said as you shifted a little. prentiss took notice as she looked back at you. yours and her eyes locked as you continued to stare at her before blurting it out as jj came over to see what was going on.

"we're dating," you told them. 

they all looked between each other, seeing your hand grab reid's. 

reid smiled at all his friends. 

"we knew you two were! there's no way you guys were just friends," garcia said. "besides, ______ constantly calls and asks when the case is done." 

"how do you know that?" reid asked.

"because i pass by your desk every night to bring case files to hotch," she explained. 

"how did you know it was her?" 

garcia laughed a little as morgan responded for her.

"kid, we don't see you talking to anybody like you talk to her. you have such a gentle tone of voice and you act more protective," he explained. reid sighed, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. 

"besides, if you don't want to get caught dating, maybe you should have reconsidered the hairband that sits on your wrist that is _______'s," jj added. he cocked his head in confusion.

"how do you know it's hers? it could be anyone's," he said, trying to cover up the obvious of what was just said. 

"when _______ came to visit me one day, i complimented it because it was a beautiful hair tie. it had like six different colors on it and she had it on her wrist so i got a good look at it," jj told him, seeing his eyes shift down to where the hairband of yours was sitting.

"kid, we're all happy for you and we are unbelievably ecstatic that you guys finally got together," morgan said as the group nodded. 

"since nobody else is asking, how long have you guys been together?" prentiss inquired.

"three months," you told her with a smile. 

the group smiled at the two of you, seeing reid's grip on your hand tighten. hotch interrupted the moment, telling them they all had a case to do. the group began departing as reid pressed a kiss to your lips momentarily before telling you that he'd see you tonight and he loved you before heading off to solve the case with the team. 

you watched as he went with a smile, still astounded that he was yours.