nine: for her (part two)

the darkness was soothing to your eyes when you opened them, but your head said otherwise as you shut your eyes again to calm the pounding. the smell of wherever you were was dirty, mixed with a humid smell smoothering your senses. you didn't want to get up and move around, but felt for your gun. when your hands didn't find it, you knew that you were in trouble.

"good, you're awake," you heard a voice say. you didn't move, seeing somebody standing over you as he came closer into view. "how you feeling?" 

you grew confused, sitting up as the man helped you. your head was pounding as you put a hand up to it, bringing it back to your eyesight to see the blood covering it. 

"why are you-?" you began, but the man cut you off.

"i just needed one thing from you," he muttered, squatting as he got close to your face. you shifted back some as he smiled. "your ring."

"my ring?" you asked him, looking down at your hand to see that the promise ring you originally had was gone now and your heart began to sink. "it makes no sense that you would cause such a scene, kidnap and hurt me, just to steal my ring?" you asked him.

he smiled at you, running his fingers through your hair as your head shifted away from him. 

"_______, your ring means a lot to him so i know that it would lead him to you," he explained. "then i could finish what i started years ago."

"which was?" you asked, looking around to see your environment. 

"killing him for stealing you in high school," he muttered.

"who?" you questioned, already knowing fully well who but you needed to hear confirmation.

"spencer reid," he replied. "that's who you're dating, isn't it?"

your eyes looked up at his now, meeting them to finally recognize who he was.

"john?" you asked as he smiled at you. 

"you remember," he muttered. you watched as he stood up and walked over to the wall where he turned on a lamp. you finally realized that you were in an old school's cafeteria. to be specific- your shared high school's cafeteria that you first met reid while john was in attendance. 

"is this because of something that didn't even happen in high school? reid was fourteen when he went to college, he was a child in high school. all i did was met him and learned about who he was," you told him. "why don't you understand that?" 

"because you two had a spark when you met," he said, pulling out your gun as he pointed it at you. "and i know you. you've liked him ever since." 

your eyes followed your gun, seeing the safety was still on. you knew that john didn't know how to work a gun, unless he had managed to learn within the last few years. he was always afraid of guns though, which made no sense that he had yours pointed to you now. 

"you don't know me," you told him. "you have no idea who i am now. i'm so different from high school, i'm not the average student anymore. we never dated. why are you so stuck on this?" 

he smiled at you, stroking the gun against your cheek. you closed your eyes, just now realizing how scared you were. the coolness of it running along your bare skin was scaring you, causing a couple of tears to roll down your cheek. 

"he'll be here soon if he's as smart as he was in high school," john muttered, looking over at you before standing up. 

"where's my ring?" you asked in a shaky voice. 

john smiled down at you, your eyes still closed. 

"i took it, i told you," he replied as you began to stand up as your eyes met his. 

"where is my ring, john?" you asked him. your eyes searched his as you waited for some sort of response. he smiled at you, looking down towards your hand that was empty. 

"you'll just have to wait and see," he said, giving you a brief smile before hearing the door open in front of you as morgan and reid both entered, holding out their guns. john immediately grabbed you, keeping the gun aimed at your lower head. he kept you close to him, his grip tight.

you felt yourself trying to stay calm, trying to take deep breaths, but the feeling of the gun against your head and your ring being missing made your heart sink. you could feel the tears beginning to fall down your cheeks. 

"hey, let her go," morgan said as reid looked over at him before making eye contact with the unsub once more. he put his hands up as he began to put his gun away. 

"i'm putting my weapon away, i just want to talk," reid said. 

john smirked, you could feel it against your head as you kept your eyes shut.

"why? why did you do this?" he asked, john shaking his head.

"the fact that you don't know tells me all that i need to know, boy genius," john said as he furrowed his brows in confusion, his eyes still on you. he willed for you to open your eyes and look at him, but he could tell how frightened you were. 

"then explain it to me," reid said. 

john sighed, the gun shifting a little. 

"you stole her from me in high school, kid. you looked at her one time and she was wrapped around your finger. she should have been mine," he said as reid looked at him, finally remembering who he was.

"john?" he asked.

he nodded, keeping the gun against your head but it was sliding down a little every time he shifted. 

"why would you hurt her to get to me?" he asked, seeing the gun was beginning to fall past your shoulder slightly. you finally opened your eyes to look at reid after his next sentence. "she is only light in a dark place and makes everything better in this world; yet, you'd want to take that away from not only me but all her friends and family?" reid asked. 

your eyes met his as he nodded ever so slightly. 

john lowered the weapon, taking this into consideration before morgan's gun went off and hit him in the shoulder. he fell backwards as you stood still, all of it happening so fast. 

 morgan was focused on the man behind you as reid came over and embraced you tightly. he kept you close to him as he suddenly could feel you crying against his hold. morgan escorted the man out of the room as you stayed held against reid. 

"you're okay now," he said softly, keeping you close. "you're okay."