Chapter 16 - My Inner Self

Chapter 16 My Inner Self

~~~

“Control yourself, Sakura! I know you’re a newbie and all but you can’t just wildly bite me! I won’t be there all the time - you’ll be biting all your friends next!” Takeru yelled. I instantly stopped, feeling terrible. Takeru took that chance to sit up and wipe his neck. “If you suddenly do that to one of your friends, it’ll be real trouble. Trust me.”

“I-I’m really sorry!” I apologized, returning to my normal self. My chin was concealed with a coat of drying blood. The sickly metal taste lingered in my mouth, leaving a horrible aftertaste. I dashed to the loo to get rid of it. The whole experience felt like a few hours, even though it was less than ten seconds. I could remember everything so vividly… I shuddered at the thought. 

“It’s fine. I’m used to this kind of thing. You’ll get used to it too. Let’s hope it’s soon…”

Takeru smiled sympathetically. I left the awkwardness and went back to my room. I traced my fingers along the embroidery on the duvet. I would be leaving back to Cross Academy tomorrow, a couple of days before the start of term. On that note, I packed my bags and went to sleep.

~

Senri was running through the woods. It was rainy, dark and cold. I caught up with him and sunk my fangs into him. 

~

I had been having that same dream for a few nights already. Term was starting today and I awoke, startled. Kaori was still asleep so I quietly got dressed and went downstairs. There was a heavy downpour so I stared out one of the corridor windows into the murky grey skies. I didn’t even know what time it was but a bell rang and then I knew it was seven-thirty. I made my way to the breakfast room and took a tray. First one in… I sat down at a table with my noodles and waited for the rest of the girls to come in.

“Ahh, Sakura, you’re such an early riser!” Kaori yawned. I smiled and started on my noodles. It was pork today, my favourite. “But I’m so glad to be back! Just think… we’ll finally get to the see the Night Class after three weeks!”

“I know right? I can’t wait,” Kumiko interjected, sitting down next to me. “How was the meeting with your aunt?” she asked me.

I shrugged. “Pretty good. She owns a big house and my cousin was visiting.”

“So you wanna tell us about your complicated upbringing?” 

“Maybe, but not today. I’m not in the mood…” 

But I was in the mood to blurt out that I was the daughter of a vampire and my terrifying experience with Takeru. I sighed and slurped up the last of my noodles.

~

I entered classroom for homeroom and sat in my usual place. Kaori sat below me, reading the English notes from before the holiday. I did the same and flipped through my blue notebook.

“Good morning class! Welcome back to school! Today there are a few announcements. Firstly, there is a transfer student from America. Jamie Barry, please come in.”

A bold boy entered with golden wavy hair and a perfect height. “Yoroshiku, people!” A few girls started giggling but I kept a calm composure and tried not to look down. Kaori was nudging me, hinting that he was probably really good-looking.

“And we also have a new homeroom teacher who will take my place whilst I am on paternity leave, Strauss-sensei!”

My head shot up as Takeru strode through the door. His long hair had been swept into a  low ponytail. “Good morning.”