xxv. night at a museum

Days now have been passing by real quick, and the day would be officially done, with a quick beat of the heart.

It also becomes harder when Peter is not along.

He has exams, at the moment, his Aunt said. Which was preventing us from hanging out like we used to.

No more checking the old schedule that continued breaking the law, then running away from the police, our mischief leaving traces.

It is now midnight, and I was spending my time at Peter's, as he sits in the corner of his room.

His mind seemed to be focused on his tasks, as he keeps writing down notes, and folding papers.

Sometimes, it frustrates me that he's Spiderman.

He knows how to manage the art of living two different lives at the same time, unlike me.

I get to rot away in the corner.

Maybe if I plan to have a proper life sometime in the future, I might need to start sorting out my choices.

I might need to start making decisions.

I need to start taking things into consideration.

Peter's determination in his life is killing me slowly, in a good way, though.

But I'm also not complaining, because he has got himself a steady life for now, and has high expectations of a bright future.

My eyes were then trailing of the words of the book I was holding, as I lay down on Peter's bed.

But my mind was not processing them, as I feel my eyes finding the picture of the other beautiful teen on the wall.

My heart has been tensing up, everytime I remember reading that name on the gravestone Peter was visiting, a several days back.

Gwen Stacy.

Oh darling, if only you knew what a plot twist you were.

It felt like that the lost debris that was shattered on the ground, was slowly flying upwards, making their correct destination.

The answer had been right in front of my eyes since the beginning, but I was distracted.

The devastating question however, has this been a waste of time after all?

Things are changing so quickly, giving me zero warnings beforehand.

Oh Peter Parker, what have you done to me?

I take a deep breath, my teeth gritting. "You know, you can always talk to me, about anything"

I then Peter mumble a yes in response, along with a slight nod from his head.

"You can vent to me, anytime too"

I see him scribbling with his pen on a piece of paper, again.

"You don't have to get anything out of me" Peter breathes out, now writing down something on his notepad. "Time will tell"

His response, unexpectedly catches me off guard. Time will tell?

Could there be anything else he isn't telling me?

"So, there is something bothering you"

"Yeah, no, no, not at all Irene. Not at all"

I just sadly, created some unwanted tension in the atmosphere, dear lord.

Why can't I do anything correctly, for once?

I let out a heavy sigh I didn't know I was holding in, then glance at Peter, who had his back turned to me.

Back to my previous thoughts, I wish I ever had Peter's optimism in life.

"Hey Peter" I start again, throwing the book to the other side of the bed.

"Mhm?"

"How much more time do you need?"

"Not a lot" the brunette replies, looking messed up, as he scrabbles down with his pencil.

"Why though?" he then pops his head up, concern on his face. "Is everything okay?"

"It is" I incline my head in approval. "I was just wondering that maybe, we could so something"

I spread my arms across the bed, before adding. "After you finish your work, of course"

Peter then turns his chair around, so he was now facing me, a grin on his face.

"Forget the exams, anything for you" he smiles, taking his glasses off.

I bolt up, excitement taking over my head. "Wait, are you serious?"

"Of course I am" Peter chuckles, putting his eyeglasses away on the desk.

"Is it okay to feel incredibly selfish" I say to myself, "to know that you are someone's favorite person, that they actually choose you over their midterms"

He then gets out of his chair, chuckling, as he pats his now messy clothes.

"What do you have in mind?" Peter questions, raising his eyebrows.

A smirk finds its way to my lips, as I see Peter's eyes widening in surprise.

"Please, do not tell me that you have a mad thought running somewhere in your head"

"Surprise" I sneer in a low voice, my smirk getting bigger. "There kinda is"

Peter gazes in my direction. "Yep, I knew it. I'm out. Studying suddenly feels more important"

"Oh come on" I nag, rolling my eyes at the boy. "Don't be such a bore"

Peter takes in a deep inhale, stretching himself out. "You just reminded me that I am grounded for being home late, the day you came"

I slowly push myself from Peter's bed, and make my way next to his side, as he lays down on his chair again.

I take his hand, and turn it over, so I can come in face with his clear wrists.

"You might be grounded, but the bughead isn't" I mumble, tracing my fingers around the lonely areas next to his webshooters.

I switch my eyes to his level, and bite my lip, earing a groan from Peter.

He tilts his head backwards, before shrugging his head and grabbing ahold of my own wrists.

"If you bite your lip one more time, I'm gonna do it for you" he threatens, furrowing his brows at me.

My eyes slightly narrow at his words, hoping Peter didn't notice, as he then looks straight back at me.

"I'd like to see you try" I tease him, fiercely snatching my hands from his grip.

Peter chuckles next to me. "Oh Irene, you're gonna be the death of me"

I grin to myself at the boy's words, and straighten myself up.

"Enlighten me, darling"

"It involves breaking in"

"Absolutely not"

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that" I continue, walking in small circles around.

"There's this museum in the middle of the city, everyone's talking about. Mind if we pay it a little visit?"

"You're insane"

"Yes, now let's go"