Prologue

Perrie

I was sitting on the couch, watching Zahra play, when there was a knock at the door. I smiled at my baby, Jade's twin, and then got up to open the door. As soon as I did, I came face to face with a woman holding a baby who looked to be about the same age as Zahra.

"Hi. Can I help you?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Is Jade around?" she asked, looking around me and into my house.

I quickly closed the door a little behind me to block her view. Her eyes met mine, and she looked very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on where I knew her from.

"Umm... no, she's not," I replied. "Can I ask why you're looking for her?"

"Tell her to call me ASAP," she replied. "It's very important."

"And who are you?" I furrowed my brows again. "Why would I tell my wife to call you?"

"Because her son needs money," she said, and I swear I felt my whole world stop. I choked on air.

"I'm sorry, her what?" I asked, wide-eyed, with my jaw on the floor.

"He needs money," she replied, pointing to the baby she was holding.

I hadn't taken a good look at him since I opened the door, but now... now that I did, I felt my stomach drop.

Her son? She has another baby? There's no way. That's bullshit. I wanted to argue and tell her to get the hell away from my door, but I couldn't.

Jade has some strong genes. As I just said, my baby looks just like her. And so does this one. The realization made my stomach hurt. The little boy she was holding looks just like my daughter, and I don't know what to do with that.

"Where do I know you from?" I asked.

"I'm her ex. We were together before you came along," she replied, and again, my mouth fell open. I knew she looked familiar. "Look, I can see that the two of you have a happy home. I don't want to cause any trouble. I'm not a homewrecker or anything like that. It's just, I lost my job, and now I need her help. I'm afraid and lost. I don't know what to do. Can you tell her to call Jessica, please? As soon as possible."

With that, she turned and walked away from our house. I just stood there, frozen. In shock. Hurt. And confused.

Jessica.

The one who was apparently obsessed with her, and the one her mother always liked to point out that she should've been with instead of me.

She has a baby that looks just like mine. Zahra's four now, so that means this baby is too. How is that even possible? Was she sleeping with us both at the same time? Did she cheat?

I really don't want my thoughts to go that route, but I can't stop them.

She wouldn't do that to me, would she? No. I trust her. She wouldn't. But it's hard to ignore a baby that looks just like her. Those eyes. Nobody could deny them.

I wanted to scream, but I couldn't scare my baby. I wanted to cry, but I didn't want her to see it. I tried my best to hold it together while she continued to play.

I must've sat in the same spot, staring at the floor for hours, because soon I heard the door unlock. I looked up to see Jade, and Zahra ran and attacked her at the door. She laughed and picked her up, giving her hugs and kisses, and I felt my heart twist in my chest.

Suddenly, I didn't feel so special to her anymore. I was no longer the only mother to her child. I wasn't the first one to finally give her a baby after the trauma of losing one with her first fiancé and then ours. I wasn't the first one. And I'm not the only one. Now I have to share the role. I know it sounds crazy, but it did make me feel special to her.

I have so many questions. Number one being, does she know?

The second I looked at her, my eyes watered. How could she do this? I couldn't handle it. Seeing that my baby was okay and that she had her, I quickly got up and left the room.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. For some reason, it felt like the walls were closing in around my heart. I ran into the bathroom and closed the door, locking it instantly and sitting down on the edge of the bathtub. The tears that I'd been holding in finally flushed out of my eyes, and I had to cover my mouth to hold in my sobs.

We were doing so good, but I just found out that she has another baby. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Has she known all this time?

What does that mean for us?

Soon, I heard a light knock on the door.

"Perrie?" she called from the other side. "What's the matter? Is everything okay?"

No. No, everything is not okay.

Tears streamed down my face as I thought about the possibility of her hiding this from me. I'd be devastated if I found out she was. I really hope she didn't know, though I don't know what difference that would make. That little boy is still here, and I have this sick feeling that this truth is about to shake up our whole lives.

"Babe, open the door," I heard her say as she knocked again.

"Go away," I said weakly, dropping my face in my hands. I wasn't quite ready to look at her yet.

"Are you crying?" she asked, knocking again. "Open the door and talk to me, please. What's wrong, baby?"

It was the genuineness in her voice. How softly and gently she was speaking to me. It made me want to cry more. I was scared.

I took a deep breath, dried my eyes as best as I could, and then stood up from the tub. When I put my hand on the doorknob, she knocked again.

"Baby, please open—" she paused when I unlocked the door and pulled it open, then her face softened. "You are crying. What happened?"

"Is there something you want to tell me?" I asked, staring straight into her eyes.

——————

Welp... it looks like I couldn't let this story die either hahaha.

Welcome to the sequel of Her.

Her Too.

Let the drama begin. 😈