chapter 2

aurora

When Mia had told me she wanted to go clubbing, I had resisted the idea, leaving her slightly disappointed with me.

However, stubborn as she was, she started going into detail about how important it was that we spent our youth being reckless and free - and how lucky we were that our fathers at all allowed us the freedom to go out, even though we had to be accompanied by guards.

Now standing in the club, I realized I never took into account how persuasive my best friend could be.

She had after all succeeded with her mission, which was the reason we suddenly stood amongst several other sweaty bodies at the bar at Volt.

«We want four tequila shots!»

The night club was filled with loud music, so in order to get the bartenders attention, you had to raise your voice. Therefore, Mia's scream hit me before I saw her lips move.

I cringed, and covered the ear which was just brutally violated by her high-pitched tone.

«Auch, Mia» I laughed, receiving an ice-cold scowl from my best friend.

«Shut up,» she giggled, giving me two of the shots she had ordered.

«Cheers, Roe!»

I threw my head back, swallowing the liquid and following up with the other shot.

I didn't take long before Mia took my hand and led me out to the dance floor. We had always loved the songs played at Volt, so we danced long into the night, only taking breaks to go to the bathroom or order more drinks.

At one point I needed to take a break. Pricking Mia's back, I said «I'll be right back!»

I armed my way out of the crowd on the dance-floor, pushing sweaty bodies out of my way to get to one of the booths that lined the huge main room.

It was only when I sat down that I noticed how tired my feet was. A sign of a night well spent.

Closing my eyes for a minute, I felt happy that Mia was able to persuade me to go out. After all, we had been friends for so long, I was never disappointed with a day spent with her.

I still hadn't told her about how me and my family was fleeing. My father had only told me the news a couple of days ago. I guess I wasn't surprised. Business was rarely discussed with me, but I knew my father and his men were struggling. Luckily for me, my father was good enough as chief that his business rarely effected my family. He had tried to conceal me and my siblings from his enemies eyes to the best degree our whole life, something I was forever grateful for.

Throughout my life I had heard gruesome stories where families was threatened and violated because one of the Made Men had screwed up.

But that had never been my family's case. Until now.

Fearing for our safety, Father made the decision that leaving for Italy would be the safest for us. It hurt me, but I trusted he knew what was best.

However, I didn't look forward to telling Mia.

She was the daughter of Father's consigliere and he was the only one that had decided to stay behind in Kenton. Only last night, I had heard Father cursing him off, pleading him to come with us and the rest of the soldiers. Having no ties to Italy whatsoever, he wanted to stay behind in the city. I had heard Father throwing all kinds of insults at him, saying how much he regretted ever making him his consigliere. It was at that moment I had realized how much stress my father was under. 

«Hey, gorgeous,» a voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts.

Opening my eyes, I was met with the sight of a blonde man, probably a couple years older than me. I smiled at him while checking him out. 

«Hey,» I answered.

«Why are you sitting alone?»

«I'm just taking a break from dancing.»

«So if I ask you to dance with me, you would decline?»

«Depends on how politely you ask.» I answered the guy, receiving a toothy smile.

He started to speak, but my eyes fixated on something else behind him. Rather, someone else.

On the balcony of the VIP-area, I spotted a man looking at me. I didn't know if my eyes were deceiving me, but it looked like a shadow of a smile was traveling over his lips. The mystery man was dressed in a black shirt and slacks and he was holding a glass of liquor. From where I sat, I could just make out his dark hair, his daunting demeanour, but calm expression. Tilting my head, I realized that there was something familiar about him. There was something that told me that this wasn't the first time I had noticed him. Furrowing my brows, I tried placing the man.

My mind was stirring, trying to the figure out what it was that made him so familiar. The same voice that had interrupted my thoughts just minutes earlier spoke again.

«Hey, you good? Do you need some water?» I looked at the blonde guy again, flushed that I had ignored him. A little shocked over the trance that the mystery guy had just put me under, I stood up.

«I'm so sorry, but I need to find my friend,» I told him, turning to leave on my quest to reunite with Mia. It didn't take long to find her, talking to some guys by the staircase to the second floor. 

«There you are! I tried calling you,» she said as I approached her. 

«I was just sitting down, my feet were killing me,» I answered, throwing a small smile at the boys she was talking too. 

«Same here. You want to leave?» she asked, and I grinned over how me and my best friend seemed to always want the same thing. 

second chapter is up and now you've been introduced to aurora! what do you think?

please leave a vote or a comment, i'd be forever grateful<3