chapter 3

romano

«You are to be a married man soon. Have you given any thoughts to the matter?»

I looked at Enzo who currently was seated next to me. Taking his glass from his hands and going to the kitchen, I refilled both our glasses with more whisky. Running a hand through my hair I sighed,

«Of course I have.»

«And what are you thinking?»

I let out a breath, walked back into the living room and handed him his refilled glass. Walking over to the windows, I fixed my point at the city sprawled out under the building. Resting one hand in the pockets of my pants, I gripped the glass in my other hand harshly.

I had been thinking about the marriage proposal ever since I had talked to Hugo Morelli, the bastard chief of the Camorra. I had spent most of my life hating him, mostly because had had taken advantage of my shocked state ten years ago, after he had saved me from death. Our clans had collaborated two times throughout the last years, taking down a common enemy. Four years ago the Yakuza wanted to take Kenton. Protecting our city, The Cosa Nostra and the Camorra cooperated and fought them back to Chicago.

Ten years ago, the Irish had gained too much power. Deciding that Kenton was everything but Irish territory, we took them down together. We succeeded in our mission, leaving their numbers insignificant. However, over the past years they had gained more power. To my elation, they took their war out on the Camorra, which was the reason Morelli wanted to flee the country.

Turning back to Enzo, I answered his question.

«I fucking hate it.»

My answer didn't phase him. He already knew that bit. He only looked at me, letting me spill my thoughts.

«I hate that Morelli was cunning enough to force me into the agreement, but I would never have guessed that he would want a marriage in return. Helping me fight the Irish would've made sense, but a marriage? I've got no idea what the bastard is thinking.»

I saw Enzo nod. «I agree with you. I can't help but think he has an alternative motive behind this.»

«Either that or he didn't think I would help him take down the Irish.» I said.

«Would you?» he asked me, cocking a brow.

«Of course not. That would be sending my soldiers to the grave,» I scoffed, walking over and taking my seat again.

I was aggravated, and I knew Enzo could sense it. An uncomfortable grimace passed over his face.

«What?» I asked.

Sighing, he started to speak. «It's a blood-debt Romano. You don't have much say in the matter. I know you don't want to marry the girl, but I don't think there is anything you can do. Hugo names the price. You have to grant anything he wishes.»

I nodded, knowing exactly what a blood-debt was. It was an old norm, something that was rarely used today. There was no mafia handbook, but the blood-debt was a custom that had existed for generations. If a man saved someone else, the saved one would owe him his life. The savior could name his price, and the saved man had to do anything in his power to grant the wish. Earlier in history, if the saved person didn't go through with the custom, there would be a trial by combat. The person saved wouldn't be allowed to have any kind of weapon except his hands, whereas the man who had done the saving could fight with any weapon he wanted.

Today, if someone broke the custom, they would most likely be killed in their sleep.

It was a bloody and dense custom. Most people would rather wish to be dead.

«My hands are tied,» I mumbled, clenching my jaw.

«I fear your own soldiers and family would lose trust in you if you disagreed to Hugo's wish. And honestly, it could be worse for you. You're simply marrying a girl.»

«I'm marrying the enemy,» I corrected him.

He shook his head. «She's just a girl. I don't believe she's even done any training. She'll be all alone in the city, without her family, without her friends. She won't be a problem nor a threat,» he said.

Even though I didn't want to get married, I always knew that I should. So I could sire a heir. With that said, I believed that when the time came I would be able to pick someone myself.

I swallowed the rest of my glass before talking again.

«I hate her father. It's a match doomed from the beginning.»

Enzo shrugged his shoulders. «Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. But as your most trusted advisor and best friend I'm advising you to go through with this. I know you hate it, but you'll manage. You always do.»

I didn't tell him, but I did always appreciate his counsel. He knew what I wanted to hear, however he never shied away from speaking his mind.

Finishing his own drink, he got standing. «I need to leave now. Is there anything more you'd like to discuss?»

I stood as well. «I want you to make a file on her and show me tomorrow. I don't even know her name.»

He nodded. «How deep do you want me to look?»

«Unless you find something interesting you think I should know, then I only want the basics.» He nodded once more before he turned to leave. But before he was out the door, I called out after him.

«And Enzo? Tell Morelli that I'm on board. And assign someone to plan the wedding.»

«Will do. Good night, Romano.» I heard the familiar sound of the door closing, and then I was alone once more.

While getting ready to sleep, I realized that the next days would be the last where I would live alone. A thought that would make most people happy, but one that only made me more annoyed. 

romano hates the idea of this marriage, what do you think?

please vote or share this story if you're enjoying it so far<3