chapter 6

romano

After I had parked my car in the underground parking house at Volt, I headed up to the club, through the private entrance in the back. Walking into my office I was greeted by Enzo, Alexander and Alessandro, as well as Morelli and two of his guards.

Our meeting last week was cut short due to trouble down at the docks. One of our shipments had been tempered with, and since I didn't want to hear shit from the company that was paying us, I headed down to get everything sorted out.

Morelli requested a new meeting the day after. He wanted to make sure that I was on board, even though Enzo had called him only a couple of days ago, telling him that I was. Therefore, I didn't see the necessity of this meeting.

«Hugo,» I nodded, as I got seated behind the desk.

«Good evening Romano. I trust everything went well after you stormed out last week?»

«Everything is sorted out.»

«So your reputation is true,» he smiled.

Looking at him, I noticed his face was unshaved and dark circles sported his expression. «You should know by now Morelli that I don't care about my reputation. Now tell me why you're here.»

Morelli shrugged. «I don't have anything exciting to tell you. I just want to know that you're onboard with the plan and get the last few details sorted out.»

I leaned back in my chair, sighing. «Well, then you're wasting my time. Enzo already told you that I was and I'm not going to spend precious time planning a wedding. So if that's all, you can leave.»

I expected him to get the memo, that I wanted him out. However, he stood still, probably contemplating what he would tell me. When he finally spoke, I rolled my eyes. «I want you to promise me to keep her safe.» His request didn't come as a surprise. Father's affection would always be Morelli's biggest weakness. Too bad he didn't play his cards better.

«I'll marry her, that's the only promise I'll give you. You only have one debt to collect.»

I could see how he stilled by my answer. Looking closely, I noticed him balling his fists by his side.

«You'll keep her safe Romano. Brutal as you may be, I know you'd never lay hands on a woman.»

He was partially right, but I didn't bother telling him that. Instead, I said «instead of asking me to keep her safe, make sure your daughter won't do anything she'll regret.»

The tension in the room was thick, neither man wanting to be seen as the weak one. We hated each other, however only one of us needed to force themselves to trust the other man.

He opened his mouth to speak again, but I cut him off. «I have to ask. Why do you want her married to me? It's obvious that it pains you to leave your daughter, and don't bother with the «desperate times» bullshit. I want you, to honestly tell me, why marrying your daughter off to your enemy seems like a good idea.»

It was apparent that Morelli grew more annoyed by the second. He wanted me to tell him that I'd keep his daughter safe. I wouldn't give him any more promises. «Even though you won't say it, Romano, I know you'll keep her safe. Once she shares your last name, once you're family, there will be a part of you that'll have to protect your own kind. She won't be a camorra anymore, she'll be a casa Nora. She'll be your responsibility.»

I leaned in closer over my desk, looking him up and down. «What exactly is it she'll need to be kept safe from? What aren't you telling me, Hugo?»

«I'm telling you everything you need to know. I want to leave with as few people as possible, and even though I despise you, I'm certain that my daughter will be safer with you than by herself.»

«If you are trying to frame me, by making your enemies come for me because I'll be married to her, then just know - she'll be the first to fall. I won't let her, nor you, be the end of me.»

He nodded again. «I only need you to marry her. And I know you will. Because you're a man of your word, and as a good leader, you'll uphold the debt.» With that said, one of his guards pulled out a white document, carefully approaching me and placing it in front of me. I didn't need to look at the paper to know what it was. A contract, binding me to the girl I still hadn't officially met.

Morelli spoke again, but my focus was on the pages, as I flipped through them. I barely registered his voice: «Along with this contract, there'll be a ceremony in a week. It'll be in a chapel in Thiev's Holm, and there'll be a dinner afterwards. By that time, my family and I will be gone. It'll be essential that you act as if you want this wedding yourself. Otherwise, the community will be suspicious. Can you do that, Romano? Or are you still only a boy?»

Despite my focus being on the white document, I still registered his insult. «Careful Morelli. Offending me will reflect poorly upon your daughter.»

«As I said, I'm certain you won't hurt her, unless you want to jeopardize your position.»

I raised my brow, intrigued. «Are you threatening me? In my own office?»

«Absolutely not. I'm just advising you not to do anything stupid.»

Scoffing, I turned my head to Alessandro who had just let out a laugh. Enzo and my brothers had been quiet during the meeting, however, Alessandro decided to finally speak. «Where was all this nerve last week when you proposed the idea, Morelli?»

Keeping his gaze on me, his eyes darkened. «I only have a week left in this city. The irish are tearing me down as we speak. I've lost. I admit it. So excuse me, an old man, for speaking boldly. There is nothing left for me to loose.»

As Morelli and his guards turned to leave, I made sure to have the final say in the conversation. «Execpt three children, of course.» The threat lingered in the room as the three of them stepped out of the office. I got up and walked over to the window, keeping an eye with them as they drove away. Right before Morelli got seated in the car, I could see his face painted with a furious expression. A triumphant smile played over my mouth.

just a short chapter since i've been busy the past month<3