Chapter Eight: Alpha?

As suspected, very little group work was getting accomplished, much to Rachel's dismay.

Chase and Luca were wrestling in the living room to try and settle who would-be Romeo. Lily, Rachel, and I sat watching them while eating what remained of the pepperoni pizza. After Chase and Luca had devoured an entire large pizza, each within minutes, I had always known teenage boys were bottomless pits, but I didn't realize they could consume so much so fast and then wrestle.

Luca had Chase pinned face down with his foot up near his head. It did not look comfortable or like it should be physically possible. Chase tapped the floor, admitting his defeat, and when the boys jumped to their feet, shirts ripped and bruises forming, I looked around the living room.

For such a large beautiful home, it lacked any pictures or decorations that provided a personal touch. Two large, grey leather sectionals sat in the living room facing an entertainment center. The walls were bare and painted a soft cream color. The front hall had been the same way, and I couldn't help but feel sad about what Luca had told me before, how his brother had wanted the home to be full of children and life, and now it lacked both.

"Savannah," Chase said, "did you hear us?"

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I asked. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"We were wondering if you wanted more to drink?"

"Oh sure; I'll come to help you."

Chase shot me his signature flirtatious grin "just can't get enough of me, hey?"

He winked, and I rolled my eyes, following him into the kitchen.

The kitchen wasn't an open concept like many homes are now but slightly tucked away from the rest of the house. I marveled at the beautiful kitchen in front of me. A large island sat in the middle of the kitchen, with stunning white marble countertops and a silver double wall oven. Warm oak cabinets matched the beams that accented the ceiling. Natural light flooded the room through the floor-to-ceiling window that nearly covered an entire wall. I could make out the view of an inground swimming pool and stone patio in the perfectly groomed backyard.

Chase must have sensed my amazement because he said, "wait until you see this!"

He walked over to the far side of the kitchen, where large white cabinets lined the wall. Pulling them open, he revealed the fridge.

"Ta-da!" he said while he raised his arms, displaying the food within.

I laughed and stepped closer to him "of course, you would find the fridge the most exciting part."

"Well, I can't eat a countertop now, can I?" he pulled a bottle of Coke and Rootbeer from the fridge. "Can you grab the cups? They're behind you on the left."

"Yeah, no problem." I opened the cabinet and pulled out five drinking glasses. Even they seemed expensive.

"Do you like coke or root beer?" Chase asked me.

"I'll have some root beer, please."

He flicked his dark curls out of his eyes and gave me his award-winning smile, "a girl after my own heart."

"Wow, we are practically soulmates," I joked dryly, accepting the drink he had poured for me.

Chase smirked and leaned over and said, "don't go saying that too loud people might get the wrong idea."

He winked and passed me Lily and Rachel's drinks to carry.

Carefully balancing the three full glasses in my hands, I began to walk out of the kitchen. Glancing over my shoulder at Chase, I noticed he had stopped walking and tightened his grip on the drinks in his hands.