Chapter Ten: Questions

Luca let me borrow his phone to call Nan, who was understanding about not being able to come to work until Monday. When I passed the cell phone back to Luca, he began to lecture me about how I needed to buy myself a cellphone. Only, I wasn't paying attention because Damian had returned to the house, and this time he was engaged in a deep conversation with a woman. Her shiny black hair pulled back in a dutch braid that reached her mid-back. She wore leggings and a light blue crop top, revealing a perfectly toned stomach. Why did everyone in this town look like they should be swimsuit models?

I began to feel embarrassed by the old and faded soda-stained clothing I still needed to change. The woman must have noticed my gaze on her because she cast me a curious glace, slowly looking me over head to toe and then towards Damian, who watched me with an unreadable expression.

Uncomfortable and embarrassed, I turned to Luca and interrupted his lecture.

"Sorry, Luca, do you mind showing me where the bathroom is? I should probably change and head out."

"Sure, but I thought you were spending the night?" Luca said.

My eyes went to where Damian stood, watching our interaction.

"I wasn't sure if that was still happening," said I awkwardly.

When Luca looked toward Damian, I knew he understood why I thought plans had changed.

"Damian already said it would be okay if you guys stayed over."

"Actually," Damian interrupted, and everyone except Luca and the girl seemed to brace themselves.

"Chelsea, Brett, and I need to check some things out at the lake tonight. If you guys wanted something to do, you could come with us. It's supposed to be one of the last warm days tomorrow."

Everyone's surprise was evident as Damian finished speaking. It made me wonder how often Damian invited Luca and his friends to join him somewhere. I was getting the impression that the answer was never.

"Man, I haven't been up there forever! Let's do it!" Luca turned to Chase, who had let out a whoop of excitement.

Rachel glanced at Damian uneasily but said, "sure, why not."

Lily gave a soft smile and came over to me, "I'll show you where the bathroom is." "If that's okay with you?" She directed the question at Damian, who nodded, not taking his eyes off of me.

The woman, who I was assuming to be Chelsea looked between Damian and me with the same curious expression as before.

"Lily, I have clean towels under the sink in my room if she wants to use my shower," Luca said, stuffing a piece of meat lover's pizza in his mouth.

A low growling noise came from the left of me, and Lily's hand tightened around mine. Luca made a noise that sounded like he had choked on his pizza. My eyes snapped to Damian, who had his hands fisted and nostrils flared, his eyes hardened on Luca.

Chelsea's eyebrows had risen in shock as she placed her hand on Damian's massive bicep. An ugly feeling clawed at my belly at the contact but dissipated when he shook off her touch.

"Luca knows the rules, no girls in his bedroom, let alone his shower," Damian said in a low emotionless voice.

"I wasn't aware of this rule," Luca mumbled, "not like I was offering to shower with her."

Damian made the deep rumbling sound again.

"She can shower in the guest room at the end of the hall." He said through clenched teeth, staring daggers at Luca.