vii - pulsar

The warmth of the freshly brewed mug of tea made you feel like a starved Helioptile sunbathing after being trapped in a cave for a week. Or something. The heat radiated through you, not uncomfortably despite the warm Alolan sun, filling you with a delightful sense of peace that usually could only be delivered through an affectionate hug.
Rotom buzzed around you, asking questions and recounting things it had seen like an excited child. It was rather endearing - a little annoying too, but you brushed that thought aside since the poor Pokemon probably missed you dearly and couldn't wait to catch up with everything you had both missed.

When Emmet finally emerged from his shower, he was looking so relaxed and pleased that you worried the man would just fall asleep then and there. His borrowed clothes surprisingly fit him well - the tank top and shorts gave him such a youthful athletic vibe that had you trying not to ogle him. When he stretched his arms up and brushed his fingertips across the ceiling, he winced - quickly hunching over somewhat as his hand reached to massage his own back. Oh, shit - his bruise.

Placing your mug on the kitchen counter and asking Rotom to guard it (Rotom seemed to behave if you gave it battle-esque commands), you stepped over to the grimacing Emmet and gestured for him to turn around. He wordlessly obeyed, pulling his top halfway up his back as you bent down slightly to get a closer look. The skin was looking a bit gruesome, but only because of the nasty way bruises healed by turning piss-and-shit coloured. The yellowing splotches did not look nice at all but the change was a promise that healing was underway - it would still be sensitive for a while, sure, but it looked like Emmet's body was handling it well.
"It's looking better!" You chirped, smoothing down his top before rubbing his upper back in a soothing manner, "Just take it easy, okay? Do you want me to make you a cup of tea whilst the kettle's hot?"
"Yes please! Plain tea. No sugar."
The drink order had you chuckling, sending you right back to your very recent job as a barista, "Coming right up, sir!" You sent him a playful wink before heading back to the kitchen to procure a fresh mug.
Emmet perched himself upon a barstool-like seat in front of the kitchen counter, further intensifying the deja vu of the moment.
"Those clothes suit you, y'know. Might have to get you some of your own summer 'fits." You mused, sparing a moment to glance over at the man's outfit. He smirked, mimicking an over-the-shoulder modelling pose complete with a confident nod and a wink. You had to hold a hand over your mouth to stop yourself from absolutely losing it at the display.
Regaining his regular composure in a near robotic fashion, Emmet watched you with a soft smile as you fixed him up his simple drink request.
"What is today's schedule." He asked as you finally slid the mug over to him, pulling out a stool next to him so you could sit beside him.
"Well," You began, seating yourself, "we need to head over to Kukui's lab as soon as we're ready, he's gonna fill us in on the plan. I know he mentioned going to his wife's lab on Akala when we went for malasadas so that could be today's mission."
"Akala. The second island." Emmet thought aloud, confusing you before you realised what he was referencing.
"Yeah! Second one you visit on your Island Challenge. I keep forgetting you played the game." You admitted.
"It was verrrry fun. It's nice to see Alola for real, though. I don't think I've visited before," Emmet mused, before his smile fell somewhat, "Well. I haven't visited in recent memory."
You rubbed his arm reassuringly as you replied, "Think of it this way: you get to experience the islands as if it's your first time! That's exciting, right? New stops to explore, new Pokemon to find, new trainers to battle..." Emmet's eyes widened, causing you to chuckle, "speaking of, we still need to have a proper battle now that we both have actual teams."
"I suppose we could add it to the schedule." Emmet sipped his drink, feigning indifference pretty poorly.
"Aww, don't you sit and pretend like you aren't excited to beat my ass!" You chuckled, smirking when you caught a small grin on the man's face.
"I am Emmet. I am a Subway Boss. I like winning more than anything else... but a battle is not fun if it is too easy." His grin exploded into a much more full on shit-eating one. You immediately picked up on what he was implying, your face contorting into an expression of mock-shock as you glared at him.
"Oh, so that's how it is, huh? The great Subway Boss thinks he's too good for me? You cocky little..." Your hand grasped his chin, bringing his face tantalisingly close to yours.  He looked down at your lips, his mouth parting slightly. Before he could press himself against you, you held a hand up and covered his mouth as you flashed him a shit-eating grin of your own.
"Sorry Boss, I'd looove to let you kiss me, but," you hummed, tapping your chin with your other hand as if in deep thought, "it's not fun if it's too easy," as you spoke, you could feel Emmet's lip twitch underneath your hand, "As the Champion of Alola, I prefer a challenge." You released Emmet from under your palm, pleased that his face was flushing red.
"Now who's being cocky." He huffed, trying to pout at you but failing.
"Hurry up and finish your tea, you dweeb. If you behave I might let you hold my hand on the way to Kukui's place." You got up, finishing the last remaining sip of your drink before going to make sure your bag was ready. From behind you, you heard Emmet let out an audible gasp.
"Hand holding? How scandalous!"
That got another chuckle from you.