xxvii - gravity

The combination of the white-hot brightness of Necrozma's body and the glimmering of the ethereal sphere that acted as a gateway through time and space was... grounding. A little too much so.

The sudden reality that this was the end, the final stretch of the journey was oddy upsetting. What would happen after this? How does life work in a universe of fiction? Would you need to go back to your own dimension? Could you even go back? It was hard not to entertain those thoughts as you peered up at the faces of four Deities and the extradimensional Dragon they had revived. In this reality so much was unknown - the powers the Tapus held, the effects on the world these wormholes had, the extent of Giratina's petty rage...

Emmet's hands came up to gently turn you, his grasp on your shoulder soft and almost invisible.
"We did it. We can get Ingo. My brother can come home," Emmet choked out, his eyes glistening with unshed tears as he beamed at you, "and we can deal with that... that Volo."
The way he spat out the man's name with such desperate hatred was not surprising but it did catch you off guard. It was strange and slightly unnerving to see Emmet smiling so cheerfully and yet fighting back his own rage.

Necrozma let out a deep booming rumble, startling you and Emmet.
"Light of Alola," the great Dragon addressed you, "you must travel alone."

You blinked at the beast, your stomach twisting beneath the flesh of your abdomen. Emmet's hold on your shoulder abruptly tightened.
"I'm- what?" you blurted out a little stupidly, your brows furrowing as you realised what Necrozma was saying.
The Prism Pokemon elaborated anyway, cementing the panic that was slowly flooding into your heart.
"Emmet of Unova must not come with you. You cannot take your Pokemon. We are venturing into a time we are not meant to be in - our tampering must remain at a level undetectable," Necrozma's eerie voice echoed around you but you were hardly listening.

You had to go back in time, to a place your memories would not let you remember, alone and without your lifeline. You couldn't even take your Pokemon. Your heartbeat grew rapid, thumping audibly within your ears.
Guzma, ever the cynic, stepped forward to say his piece to the Draconic beast.
"Woah woah, you're sendin' her into a fuckin' wormhole without anything?" Guzma snapped, though his tone betrayed the panic he was experiencing, too, "I get you're almighty or whatever but what-"
Necrozma roared, silencing Guzma and sending him tumbling backwards onto the ground with the sheer force of the sound. The display of aggression had your blood freezing - a reminder that Necrozma was, and still is, a wild and powerful monster.
"Do not speak of that which you know nothing about," the Dragon snarled, flaring its massive luminescent wings, "this is the only way to keep the Light of Alola safe. Time and Space are fickle, and the Alpha will not permit disorder amongst them. If the timeline is damaged, we will all be in danger. It is bad enough that I am involved."

Guzma began to stammer out some sort of half-aggressive half-terrified reply with Hapu darting forward to physically shut him up, but it was hard to focus on any of that.
Emmet's grip on you was growing so tight it was becoming painful, his mouth opening and closing as if he were trying to find the words to say. You placed a hand upon his cheek, gently rubbing his cheekbone with your thumb to get him to calm down. Even though your nerves were ignited, burning up in a sea of worry, you felt responsible for keeping Emmet safe and happy. With Guzma risking being stomped by the already irate Necrozma, you didn't want the Subway Boss to be the next source of distress that resulted in untimely demise.
You took a deep breath, watching as Emmet mimicked you with shaky gasps, before the two of you found yourself in sync.
"It's the last step, Em. I need to do this," you murmured, trying to appear confident. Emmet was visibly unconvinced by your facade.
"What if you don't come back. What if you get stuck too. What if Volo hurts you." Emmet fired off questions in a near breathless panic, his hands shaking as they held onto you.
His concerns were more than valid - as he rambled away, listing off scenarios that could happen by stepping into that wormhole, you began to worry about them too. Without company, human or Pokemon, you would be totally alone and at the mercy of whatever forces lay in wait. What if Giratina was on the other side? What if Volo somehow knew you were coming?