ix - gamma ray

Giratina.
That was a familiar name... and yet, when you tried to piece together why you remembered it, you found yourself struggling. It was only after you studied the picture with a determined intensity (you didn't even notice Kukui shaking your shoulder to get your attention) that you finally had the image of Volo fizzle into your head. Why were you struggling so much with this? The game Volo was from - Legends: Arceus - was like... the one thing occupying your time since it released. It wasn't a forgettable game in the slightest.

Still, you sighed as you finally figured out where you heard the Pokemon from. You looked over to Kukui, a glance sent his way as he slowly removed his hand from your shoulder.
"Looked like you saw a ghost there, cousin." He noted, brows furrowed in concern. You ignored him.
"Giratina is being used by someone, a human. I think I told you about him, his name is Volo." You informed the two of the Professors, glancing back to Kukui as you ended the sentence.
"And..." Burnet began, rubbing her chin in thought, "Necrozma thinks you're being hunted by Giratina. So... Volo is trying to find you?"
"Yeah, I guess? Unless Giratina alone just has it out for me. Maybe it just wants Necrozma. I really don't fuckin' know." You sighed, exasperation written all over your face as you slumped back in your chair.
"That reminds me," Burnet rose from her chair, leading your gaze to follow her to the corner of her office, "I managed to get my hands on a Pokemon Center machine. It's secondhand but should work fine. Necrozma will be safe to heal here without going to a public facility. I... also wanna ask a favour."
You felt nervous, your hands wandering to your belt where Necrozma's Ultra Ball was clipped on, "What's up?"
"I have a few theories that could help Necrozma open a new wormhole that's stable enough to take you to Hisui. I just... I don't have exact energy signature readings from it. I was wondering if I could study Necrozma whilst it heals here. It would only be an overnight thing, it wouldn't even leave it's Pokeball!" Burnet clasped her hands together, batting her eyelashes at you as she asked to borrow your alien deity.
Part of you wanted to say no, your paranoia creeping up on you like a Shadow Force, but you were seriously in need of help. Your Pokemon was wounded, weak, in desperate need of energy - you couldn't provide it without a Pokemon Center and some Z-Power, both of which could attract unwanted and possibly dangerous attention. You sighed, removed the Ultra Ball from your belt, and held it out for Burnet. She eagerly reached to take it but you pulled away just a little.
"Two rules. Don't release it from its ball. You give it back tomorrow regardless of whether you're done." You spoke in low tones, the stern glare you gave her seeming to get your seriousness across.
"Of course. I'll see you back here tomorrow, then." Burnet still maintained her cheery mannerisms, taking the Ultra Ball and patting your hands gently as a thank-you.
"Sounds good, doc."

Kukui led you out of the office, a new expression of worry upon his face as you entered the elevator.
"Giratina, huh?" He mused, a forced smile on his face as he glanced down at you.
"Apparently I'm more popular than I thought." The Professor let out a weak laugh, removing his hat to rub the back of his head.
"You can say that again. Listen, if we're coming back tomorrow you may as well get a room at Tide Song. It's the massive hotel we passed on the way here, just by Heahea beach. Can't miss it!" Kukui suggested, "Beats going all the way back to Melemele just to get another ferry out first thing tomorrow."
"Sounds like a plan, dude," you hummed, "Means I can take Emmet out for an explore, too."
Kukui suddenly grinned. "That reminds me! I have an idea that could help Emmet get a bit more liked around here."
You glared at him, eyes narrowed in suspicion, "Do tell."
"You and Emmet are talented trainers, right? Why not announce your safe arrival in Alola with an official match in the Royal Avenue's stadium? We can show the islands that Emmet brought you home safe and with all your fighting spirit intact! Woo!"
Okay, that genuinely sounded fucking lit. A nagging thought in the back of your mind prevented the excitement from showing on your face, however. You frowned slightly.
"Professor, I don't think I even remember my Pokemon's movesets. I'd have to practise or Emmet will totally decimate me." You grimaced at the thought, not because it would be embarassing for the champion to lose, but because Emmet would be insufferable after winning against you in an official setting. You were too competitive to let him have that satisfaction.
"Well, looks like you need to get back into training! Rotom can help you with your Pokemon's moves - it should still have everything recorded, yeah! I'll have a chat with the Battle Royal Dome's management and see if I can get them to agree to this. Who knows, maybe the Masked Royal will be up to support the event."
You chuckled at the reminder of the celebrity wrestler, having played the games you knew this guy was just Kukui in a mask with a weird fake gravelly voice. Still, you played along.
"Wow, the Masked Royal? Always wanted to meet that guy." You grinned at the Professor, laughing as he looked at you with a somewhat startled expression.