3

Beyoncé Knowles

It's New Years Eve and everyone that could come is helping out to set the party up on the floor. It's kind of awkward trying to hang up New Years signs all over cubicles without moving around people's documents but Shawn and I try our best.

"Get that side." He points to the opposite end as we try to stick it onto the side of someone's cubicle with some thumb tacks. "Ight, looks good."

He dista off his hands and offers me a high five. I hesitate for a second then reciprocate. He's the only friend I've made in the office and So far we've clicked over the fact that we don't understand what Philips wants. He got the same sticky note that I did. So we figured we would help each other out and try to jog an idea out of each other.

As a matter of fact Shawn has been at Philips' office like a little boy trying to pester him enough to swap the prompt out. Philips isn't budging so we just have to make due with what we have.

I know I can do it, I just need to find my inspiration. Somehow, I know I can find it, no matter how far I may have to travel in this vibrant city.

We both dust our hands off as we finish hanging up the decorations. I head to the table and see that some other colleagues brought cookies, sodas and chips. Someone is assigned to bring champagne and some others are assigned to bring actual food.

I ordered some pizzas that should be arriving soon to the lobby. They tried to convince me to bake and cook and I gave them firm "no"s. There was just no damn way I was gonna be cooking at all.

"It's quiet as hell." Shawn starts walking towards the speaker he brought.

He flips through some CD's and then decides to put something on. Immediately I recognize Rihanna's voice.

Damn, this is really good. I make a stank face as I'm impressed at some guy rapping away.

"Who's this?"

"Me."

"You?"

He nods proudly.

"So you decided to promote?"

"Yup." He pops the "p" proudly.

His music isn't so bad at all.

"Aye this new guy, Kanye West. He's been producing my shit, he's good as hell."

Seems like he's got a perfect topic for an article. I wonder if he knows.

"You should write about it. For your article I mean."

"Nah I can't. I considered it and I brought it to Philips but he said it was "too urban"." Shawn whipped out the gesture for quotations. "I'd do it anyways but I don't wanna risk it."

"Aye Shawn Imma ask you something, don't get offended."

He turns to me, "shoot."

"If you've got music being released and stuff... and it sounds great, what are you doing trying to be a journalist in an office job?"

I mean the man's got Rihanna's feature on a song, what is he doing here?

He shrugs, "Ion know... don't get me wrong, I love the music, but I feel like it's a little more secure to have this type of a job. I mean I can guarantee my salary won't falter. My music ain't been doing that good for a while."