Chapter 3: The Queen is Dead

Evie sighed to herself as she decided to take a walk to clear her head. She had woken up this morning for breakfast and came into Henry's room to wake him up for the day, but she remembered that he was in New York right now. She understood and remembered why he was there, but it was still a bit of a bittersweet moment as she looked into his empty room as he had an adventure without her, so she missed him deeply and her heart ached. She wandered through the streets of Storybrooke as everybody else did their own thing before she ran into a friendly face.

"Evie? Is that you?"

"Oh..." Evie said before she looked up as she stopped to see who was right in front of her. "Hi, Ms. Blanchard."

"You feeling okay?" Mary Margaret asked with a small smile.

"Oh... I'll be okay... I guess I'm just missing Henry a lot right now," Evie replied. "I'm glad that he's having a new adventure in a new place and helping Mr. Gold, but... He's my little brother..."

"You're allowed to miss your brother, Evie. That's what makes a good family," Mary Margaret coaxed. "Speaking of family though, I guess you're my sister now."

"Heh... Yeah..." Evie chuckled. "Guess it's a good thing we don't celebrate Thanksgiving around here."

"Oh, gosh. Can you imagine?" Mary Margaret smiled sadly. "You sound like David."

"How about you, Ms. Blanchard?" Evie soon asked. "How are you feeling today?"

"Oh... Well... Today is my birthday." Mary Margaret said softly.

"...You're unhappy about that?" Evie asked out of concern.

"It's a bit of a long story..." Mary Margaret said before she showed a gift and a card.

"Oh, Ms. Blanchard, it's your special day; I couldn't take your gifts." Evie said softly.

"No, Evie. I want you to look at these." Mary Margaret shook her head.

"Oh... Well. Thank you." Evie replied as she decided to take a look at both the gift and the card.

Mary Margaret sniffled as she wiped her eye, allowing Evie to look at her personal things.

"Oh... Ms. Blanchard... It's beautiful..." Evie said softly as she opened up the gift before bringing out a diamond tiara. "Was this yours when my mother married your father?"

"Actually my mother gave it to me for my birthday before she... Before she..." Mary Margaret explained softly.

"...Died?" Evie finished in a whispery voice as she guessed.

Mary Margaret nodded as Evie guessed correctly.

"I'm sorry for your loss... And you know that my dad's gone too." Evie said softly.

"Yes... And I suppose that's my fault..." Mary Margaret sniffled and nodded as she looked weary and pretty low right about now.

Evie looked soft as she had a sad smile. "It's okay, Ms. Blanchard; I don't blame you for what happened to my father," she then said before taking a look at the card curiously. "'Thinking of you today - Johanna'," she then read aloud before looking curious. "Johanna?"

"She served my mother The Good Queen and looked after me sometimes," Mary Margaret explained softly. "I was a little mean to her when I was younger, but I didn't know any better."

"You were mean?" Evie asked in surprise. "I'm having a hard time believing that, Ms. Blanchard."

"I know, it sounds pretty unbelievable but it was true..." Mary Margaret nodded. "I'm just surprised she ended up in Storybrooke because I haven't found her or seen her around here."