THIRTEEN

☆ ☆ ☆

"So what do you want to talk about then?".
Laia tried to act clueless on what the boy wanted to talk about to try and delay the conversation as much as possible.

"Quit it Laia, you know exactly what I want to talk about". Mason replied to the girls fake cluelessness.

"Why did you leave? Why did you just disappear?". He asked pain evident in his voice.

"I got an offer in Munich and I decided to take it". She replied trying to hide the pain she was feeling.

"So you decided to just go M. I. A until we found out from social media you were all the way in Germany? We were worried about you. I was worried about you". His voice started to raise which didn't as a surprise to the girl as she expected it after the stunt she pulled years ago, she sighed before she replied.

"I wanted to be closer to family Mase, I was thousands of miles away from Jule and my whole family. I was alone, without my family for the entirety of my time in the academy and I just wanted to go home. So when I got the loan offer from Bayern I decided to take it". She partially lied, trying to stop her voice from cracking.

"But why didn't you tell us, why didn't you tell me. Instead you worried me, I was worried where you were. What could've happened to you, all these scenarios running through my head until it was announced you signed for them". Mason said with his voice brought back down to normal.

"Because I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye, I know it was cruel but I couldn't and I didn't want to see all your disappointed faces especially yours. I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't want it to go like that but I felt like I got too close".

"What do you mean 'got too close', what did you get too close to Lai? Huh". He replied with a confused expression.

"To you Mason, I got to close to you. I felt scared, I felt vulnerable and I didn't know what to do, you know how I felt when I was vulnerable. I despised it and I closed up, that's exactly what happened in that case". It was her voice raising this time with tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"But-". Mason tried to reply before she stopped him.

"No, let me finish. That's why it felt that we were further apart the closer that we were, because it was hard not to fall for you when I gave you all my heart. But you didn't see that, you were dating Gabriela and I couldn't bring myself to tell you that I fell for you. Is that the answer you were looking for Mase? Because there it is, I fell for you and I couldn't face it anymore. So I left and took Bayern's offer". She replied, the tears that were threatening to spill were now running down her face leaving a salty taste on her tongue.

He walked up to the girl and embraced her in a bone crushing hug, gripping her head pulling her closer into his neck as she broke down even more. She fell asleep on the sofa with her head on his chest, but everything she said was running through his mind wondering how he didn't realise that sooner,
because to him she was the one that got away.

A/N: have a lovely day <3