Awkwardness of an Awkward Teen

Just a heads up before you read, Marcy is portrayed as autistic and goes by they/them pronouns. If you have a problem with that, then find something else to read.

February 14

This is usually the day that couples do something romantic, right? I wish I had someone that I could do cheesy couple stuff with. Maybe even someones... heh that's stupid.

I notice there are two girls that sit in front of me in math class. They seem nice. I think we'd get along, but I dunno how to talk to them.

Usually I'd write more, but I'm kinda tired. I'll write in this later, I guess.

See ya

Marcy never really knew how to talk to people. A lot of the time, they were hard to read, and yet far too easy to read. People were always confusing, so Marcy chose to avoid them.

Still, however, Marcy wanted more friends... or, at the very least, a friend. They couldn't remember the last time someone was genuinely interested in having a conversation with them. Usually people would talk to them out of pity or as a cruel way to bully them.

Due to the many years of torment from others, Marcy closed themself off to people entirely.

Well, almost entirely.

In Marcy's math class, two girls sat in front of them. Their names were permanently ingrained into Marcy's mind.

Anne.

Sasha.

Marcy didn't know why, but they really, really, really  wanted to be friends with them. Unfortunately, Marcy didn't know how to start a conversation with them. Marcy usually relied on other people to make friends, but now that Marcy was in high school, no one was willing to help them out. After all, Marcy should be old enough to make their own friends, right?

Marcy had concocted a plan on the walk to Language Arts, their first period. Marcy would say that they had forgotten their pencil and would ask to borrow one. It was a simple plan, there was no way it could fail.

Marcy started to do their assignment when their nerves hit them at full speed.

It's not gonna work, they're gonna call me weird, they'll hate me, they already do hate me, they're not gonna give me a pencil

Not paying attention to what they were doing, Marcy accidentally snapped their pencil from pressing down on it too hard.

Shit, now I really do need a pencil.

Fortunately for them, class was nearly over, so they could put their assignment away without getting in trouble by their teacher.

Walking to Math, Marcy rehearsed what they would say to Anne and Sasha. "Hey, can I borrow a pencil?" Marcy mumbled under their breath. "No, that's wrong... May I borrow a pencil? Nah, that probably sounds too formal... 'Tis a pencil I require, O beautiful and fair maidens of yonder." Marcy chuckled to themself, ignoring the weird looks that people were giving them.

They arrived at their classroom, nervousness invading their brain. They saw Anne and Sasha sitting at their desks, talking and laughing together. It was pretty cute, actually. Anne and Sasha were just cute in general, though, so this wasn't an abnormal situation.

Marcy blushed faintly when they realised what they had just thought.

Marcy sat down and glanced longingly towards the two in front of them. Though, maybe it was a bit too apparent that Marcy was looking at them because Sasha turned around suddenly.

"Why are you staring at us?" Sasha asked. Her tone didn't seem rude, more like a genuine question.

Marcy realized that they were staring, and attempted to respond, albeit a bit flustered. "SosorryaboutthatIwasjustspacingoutandIneedapencilifyoucouldspareonethat'dbeappreciated."

"...What?" Was all Sasha said in return.

"Haha, sorry," Marcy said nervously, "You caught me a bit off guard there. I was just wondering if I could borrow a pencil."

"Ah, sorry, I don't have any spares," Anne replied.

"Same here. The only pencil I have is the one I stole from Anne," Sasha said.

"So that's where my pencil went!"

"Don't kill me please!"

Anne and Sasha got caught up in their own conversation, leaving Marcy behind entirely.

So much for my plan, Marcy thought, having given up for what seemed like the millionth time.

Marcy ended up picking up a pencil from off the floor and continued throughout the entirety of the day with that pencil instead. Maybe Marcy's next plan would work.

But honestly, another attempt to initiate a conversation would probably come across as odd and possibly even obsessive. Marcy didn't want to seem creepy, so they just accepted defeat.

The next day of school was just about the same as it always was. Marcy went through all of their classes, mood constantly fluctuating between slightly bored and especially bored.

Except for Math, when Marcy got to see the way that Anne and Sasha interacted. They were incredibly charming, as always. Their laughs were unique and probably some of Marcy's favorite sounds. Marcy wished more than anything that they could be friends with them.

The next day wasn't all that great. Until it was?

Marcy despised gym with all of their heart, mind, and soul, and unfortunately, gym was a required class.

And a double unfortunately, today, Marcy was forced to participate.

They were playing basketball in teams of three. Immediately everyone grouped together, leaving Marcy behind. It felt soul-crushing, but at the same time, Marcy didn't mind much. All the people in their gym class were obnoxious brats, so they were just fine being lonely.

However, Marcy needed to be on a team, which would require asking to be on someone's team. But, no one liked Marcy, no one would want them, and everyone would bully them.

All of the sudden, Marcy felt someone tap their shoulder.

"Hey, we only have two on our team and you seem a bit teamless, so... you wanna be on our team?"

Marcy turned around and saw the face of the stunning goddess named Anne Boonchuy.

"Yes," Marcy responded. "Yes very much so."

"Haha, okay," Sasha laughed.

And so, Marcy played basketball with Sasha and Anne. Only, Marcy forgot that they suck at basketball and did nothing but hinder the other two.

However, Anne and Sasha didn't seem to mind. They looked happy to have Marcy on their team.

Marcy was happy, too.

But what's the point of being happy if it doesn't last?