Chapter 8

You were now out in the hall as the others stayed in the nursery.

"So you interrogated and subdued Dr. Nihachu, broke into the third story of the castle, found the nursery, and apparently befriended my sons in what, 30 minutes?" the king's unreadable tone and blank expression almost gave you a panic attack. Being one on one with a royal was already bad enough but this royal could have you tortured and killed for a single word out of place.

The windowless stone brick hall outside the nursery made you feel claustrophobic even though the hall was bigger than your house.

Taking a deep breath you square your shoulders then say, "Yes your majesty". You don't try to make eye contact though, instead, you focus on a spot next to his head.

King Philza studied you for a moment then asked "besides your son, do you have any other experiences with taking care of children?"

"Yes, your majesty." you said again then elaborated, "When I was younger I helped my mother take care of the children on our block. They were all infants through 10 though I have no experience with teens." you stopped there not wanting to ramble.

"And do you have fighting skills?" The king asked.

"Yes your majesty." you said again in a respectful but slightly timed voice.

"Do you have any qualifications to teach children?"

The king asked another question, this one sparked your curiosity and you couldn't stop yourself from asking "why are you asking me these questions?"

Your hands flew up to your mouth, fingers covering your lips. You speak again before the king has a chance to "I'm sorry I didn't mean to pry please forgive me. Yes, I am qualified to teach but only small children." in a hurried and slightly panicked voice.

"It's alright, my questions were quite odd, it was natural to be curious," he states. You are about to say something but he continues "to answer your question I was going to offer you a position as Prince Tommy's and Ranboo's nanny." he states face turning from emotionless to a kind business-like smile.

Your eyes snap to his in shock, you just stare eyes wide while he continues laying out terms and benefits. "You and your son will have to live in the castle, but I'm sure that won't be a hindrance, considering the fact your father still needs to be taken care of by our physicians."

You wait patiently for him to finish not wanting to interrupt him with your thousands of questions.

Finally, after what felt like forever he stopped, ending with "and your hours will be from dawn to dusk and you start on Monday." with a hint of finality like he knew you were going to accept his job offering.

Now that he was finished you asked "may I ask you some questions, about your job proposal of course." when he gives a stiff nod your questions flood out "why are you giving me such an important role. I'm not even a proper citizen of your country yet and I'm from an enemy empire. Also why do you need me to start so soon." then you add still trying to be respectful "your majesty."

The king looked at you and decided your questions were reasonable "for one, I'm offering you this position because in the ten minutes you interacted with my son you were able to not only get him to share but feel empathetic towards Ranboo. Second, you became a citizen the moment you saved me and my eldest son. And third Tommy's tutor ran out of the castle crying just a day ago and he's disturbing everyone from doing their jobs. Now does that answer all of your questions?"

The tips of your ears turn ruby red, your embarrassment makes it impossible to talk so you nod your head as respectfully as possible. "Well, now that's done with, will you take the position?"

You manage to unstick your tongue and reply with a quick "I would be honored to accept" then bowed your head.

"Good you will stay with Tom-Prince Tommy and Ranboo in the nursery till a maid comes and shows you to your room. You will be given garments for the night and in the morning escorted to the house you rented to gather your belongings. After you will live in the castle, understand?"

You bow your head and tell him you understand. Once he dismisses you, you go back into the nursery and let prince Tommy hold Tubbo again, which he's ecstatic about.

As the sun lowers into dusk two butlers enter the nursery. One looked like a very angry walking humanoid ginger pastry, and the other was a normal human with a bright blue shirt, darker blue jeans, and a circular pendant that was half red and half blue.

"Hi, StarBeam" prince Tommy whispered shouted as if to try and not disturb Tubbo.

"Hello Prince Tommy, Mr. Ranboo, It's time for bed." The ginger pastry said calmly. Then, to your surprise, Tommy passed Tubbo back to you carefully then sprung up and towards the pastry man.

"Let's go, let's go, come on, come on wanboo'' grabbing the pastry man's hand and almost dragging him out the door talking incessantly of things you weren't able to decipher as Ranboo quickly followed.

Now only you, Tubbo, and the blue-shirted servant were left in the nursery. "Lady (Y/N) may you please follow me?" he asks motioning to the doorway.

You nod for what feels like the thousandth time that day and stand up from your sitting position on the floor. After tightly bundling Tubbo in a blanket you follow the man out of the nursery. After walking in silence down the hall the man spoke.

"Thank you." he said in a voice barely, above a whisper.

"For what?" you asked genuinely confused.

"For saving our King and Crown Prince. And I'm sorry that in order for you to have done that, your father got injured in the process." His apologetic tone, mixed with relief for what you did, shocked you.

"You must really like the king if you're thanking me," you said in a somewhat questioning tone.

"King Philza is probably one of the kindest soles in this world. The people in the castle and some of the capital call him the crow father, for how father-like he is. He is also very fierce rumored to be married to the angel of death herself"

He's almost glowing with happiness while relaying the tales of his king to you.

A thought pops into your head and you almost slap yourself at how rude you've been.

"What is you and your partner's, that one that looks like a pastry's name?" you ask.

"Vikkstar, my lady, and that walking pile of crumbs is my best friend Lazarbeam." The man now known to you as Vikkstar introduced.

"Pleasure to meet you, Vickkstar. You seem to know my name already but I'm (Y/N) (L/N) and this here is my son Tubbo (L/N)." You introduce.

"Pleasure to meet you too Lady (Y/N). ah we are here. This is your room," Vikkstar said as the three of you stopped in front of a dark wood door that honestly looked like all the other door's you passed during your conversation.

"Someone will give you a tour tomorrow. Then, help you retrieve your positions. Have a good night, miss." Vikkstar continued in a professional down to business tone, while unlocking the door, then giving you the key.

You thanked him and gratefully took the key. You entered your new room and completely ignored everything except the bed. You place Tubbo down then layed next to him, staying awake just long enough to make sure he falls asleep before you drift off yourself.