Bar Sinister (The edge of oblivion)

I was a House of War, waiting to be reborn.

In the middle of nowhere leans a bar that never closes. There weren't many worse places to spend eternity but having Memeton as a drinking companion helped pass the Cycle. Memet, an Arch Priest of the Infernal Dominion, is the one connection I have to my late bellipotent father, Hal-Raekorn the Elder, Warlord of the Cycle and Stalwart to the Master of Infernal Reality. We demon-kind really are a poetic bunch when it comes to our names and titles. It helps pass the time between blood baths.

The Outer Domain is the universal counterpart to the Infernal. It runs on cycles too—seasonal, annual, epochal. It is a realm of pseudo-mortal beings. Its elements of power: earth, air, fire, and water, are the building blocks for everything in that reality, but the spirits, schemes, and scars of the beings there define the political landscape and the boundaries of each realm. Their gods are much more hands-off than mine.

The Infernal Cycle runs off a different thread of time with a cadence set by the High Prince himself. It is on his word alone that the rules of our domain exist, and it is in his name that our Houses grow in stature or fall into ruin. Our elements are war, death, pestilence, and strife. Fury, ruin, and plague are the tools that help shape our domain. As our Cycle turns, the end goal is always to bolster a House's standing in the cyclone we call reality, regardless of the High Prince's unbending will.

Memet offered me a bitter brew, "You should enjoy all the strength that your twin in the Outer Domain brings you. In time, you'll have a chance to reclaim your place with even greater power. As a Warlord of the Infernal Cycle, you are the House of Hal-Raekorn, but you are also Firefanged, so use it."

Firefanged. There was a Pyrrhic victory in the splitting of a soul. If only Hal-Raekorn the Elder had thought twice about his schemes.

"Infernal titles aside, while I have Exile to remind me of my station, there is nothing in the Outer Domain to sustain my other half. This situation does me scant good if Baron Maltheus or one of his Pestilent minions goes hunting through the Veil."

Memet smiled, "I suspect Queen Lis-Xiana and her brood of assassins will soon become involved, a Death House carries the sharpest of claws."

"Oh, black joy. It's time for another drink."