Bar Sinister (Forbidden crossings)

"I am in exile. I am locked away in here," I complained to Memet.

"Don't confuse yourself with the warlord Hal-Noire. He is truly locked in. You exist in two different places at once, but not separately. It is all to your advantage. Your self-survival is shared, and your growth is multiplied."

"I carry the House of Hal-Raekorn here. What am I in the Outer Domain?"

"While your Infernal being is forbidden to cross into the Outer Domain, your soul lives in a state of exile, having an embodiment in two places at once."

"The High-Prince forbids my crossing?"

"He forbids all of his most powerful Houses from leaving his Domain. That is why, with few exceptions, only lesser demons can cross over. The High-Prince's mandate for oversight and control of our reality is eternal. When Maltheus sent the Kjaira through, he did so at great expense and with Kasaval's backing.

"And that is why you are stuck in this Infernal bar, this cocoon of sorts; while your other self bleeds, you garner your power. A connection between you and your other self exists through the shared soul that defines you and the eternal spirit that carries on the seed of your House. You leverage common instincts and abilities based on the powers and titles that your House already holds or may acquire in either realm of existence."

"Here, I have eons of knowledge and skill to draw upon, but I am expected to wait for my other half to mature. I don't have the patience for it."

"Remember my words about growing too fast. Don't let your quest for wings tear you apart."

"If I can draw so readily from him, then he can also learn to draw from me."

Memet rapped his knuckles on the counter. "That is a secret that Hal-Raekorn earned with the title Firefanged."