Chapter 20 (Changing shifts)

Lightning flashed outside, casting hard shadows on my sudden ascension. Vigil Snow unlocked and opened the door, inviting Captain Glenn inside while Duke Ragir and Judge Small hurried away with their guard escorts. Glenn gave me a bow and clapped me on the back before rushing out. Vigil Thorn's bodyguards had come into the room. Thorn introduced me to Sentinels Volk, Peeler, and Timms, who all bowed carefully and shook my hand.

Introductions continued as I presented the diminutive Yseria all around. The size difference was almost comical when compared to Thorn's men, but Yseria was now the sole bodyguard of a Vigil. The three massive sentinels each gave her a respectful nod. I surprised Yser with a hug and thanked her for being there.

Thorn gave me an emotional bow and a hug. She was a formidable woman and surprisingly hard to read in-depth for one that wore her mood so openly. There was a brazen hardness about her, a wall of protection around her heart that struck a familiar chord. I was immediately glad to have met her.

Vigil Snow had one warning for us before we left. "There are now three Vigils present in Berykholt, and the ascension of a Vigil always draws unwanted attention, no matter how secret we have tried to keep it. It is when a Vigil is most vulnerable. We must take precautions to maintain our safety and the safety of those around us."

It was still cats and dogs outside, but I wanted to get back to the others and share the news. I said good night and walked out with Yseria. We ran across the courtyard in the pouring rain and up a flight of stairs to our rooms. It was late, and the shared living room was empty. I peeked into Raven's bedroom and found her asleep. Much to my relief Andy was on duty, sitting by her bed. I waved him out to talk.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"She still has trouble falling asleep on her own. Physically she has recovered, but her ordeal weighs heavily on her, and she is still very much reduced by it."

"Well, something has happened, and we're going to have to increase our security immediately."

We heard a knock on the door from the stairwell. Not feeling anything amiss, I opened the door to Scouts Duncan and Jacka on the second-floor landing.

Jacka explained their presence, "Just letting you know that Captain Glenn has reassigned the scouts to guard this keep while there are dignitaries present. We'll be covering the keep entrance and this landing throughout the night."

I quickly introduced Yseria and asked that the scouts coordinate with her and Andy. The dark elves would be splitting shifts in our living room tonight.

"Very good. Sleep well, Vigil." Duncan offered me a huge grin.

Andarion didn't miss a beat. "Mott, I think our boy is going up in the world. I'll take the first watch here. If there is any mayhem bound our way, I'd expect it sooner than later. The heavy weather would make great cover."

"Mott, if you would, Vigil Snow has asked that I take all precautions, and I could use a couple more hands to hold down the fort here until things settle down." I handed Mott a piece of paper. "Please ask Captain Glenn to round those two up and send them our way first thing in the morning."

I checked all of the rooms and windows on our floor before sitting down with Andy. Yseria had already turned in, and I badly needed to rest. I wasn't anxious about anyone getting by Master Andarion or the elite scouts. I just needed to talk.

I started in a quiet voice, "Yseria saw my scars tonight in front of the Vigils, the duke, and the King's cousin."

"How did she react?"

"I felt her shock, but it quickly changed to a confused mixture of sympathy, disgust, and fear. I don't want to drive her away."

"It's understandable. I think that Yser's isolation in Bastian, as well as her great skill with a blackblade, has left her vulnerable to the deeper scars of life."