Epilogue (Barely a wince)

Four trying days after our arrival in Lockrun, Inquisitor Loeb rode in with Captain Glenn and a score of sentinel-adepts. To the untrained eye, the city of Lockrun almost seemed normal. To Loeb, the town was a tragedy yet to be overcome. I could feel the shock and mournfulness roll off him as he entered the city square.

"Doctor, Captain, well met," I said, with Raven and Mott Duncan at my side. Duncan had proved himself a sharp mind and an able Third. His fond connection with Andarion helped build cohesion across the company with its vastly different members and backgrounds. He now wore the badge of Vigil Storm.

"Ara, you appear better than I expected, with barely a wince about you," said Loeb. "Who reset your shoulder socket?"

My arm was feeling much better, and I had already packed away my sling for the next injury. It hadn't fooled Doctor Loeb.

"Raven managed it. We were in a Hell-cave at the time, about to fight five Hell-knights."

Captain Glenn showed his disbelief, "Ara, you fought them with one arm?"

"I know. Wearing a sling wrecks your balance in a fast fight like that. We'll show you what's left of the cave site later today. It's only about five miles to the northeast. Instead of building up a horde, they sent a few demons at a time into the city each night. We secured the town and destroyed the Hell-gate, but there is a panic here among the people that hasn't gone away."

"One hundred and ninety-four citizens were killed throughout the four nights before we arrived, and dozens more were severely injured," said Mott. "It was a feast of pure terror for the demons to consume. The resources necessary for the town's restoration may be beyond us."

"We expect a company in the duke's colors to arrive the day after tomorrow," said Glenn.

"Until then, there is much to do and much to discuss in private," said Loeb.

We closed the doors to the Mayor's meeting room and posted Yseria outside.

Loeb got straight to the point, "What haven't you told me, Ara?"

"I should be asking you the same," I said, sensing that Loeb was deeply on edge. "What ails you so?"

"The Vigil is spread entirely too thin these days, and if it were possible, I'd say that Hell is heating up. The occurrence of a second Infernal outbreak in less than two months in the same spot is unprecedented. It would have been an even greater tragedy if not for your swift action."

"Perhaps the Divine intervenes," I suggested, wondering if it wasn't just the opposite.

"We have asked our more esoteric resources for readings that could help explain the current state of the Infernal Cycle," Loeb continued. "Vigil Snow believes that a full-scale demonic invasion of our realm is underway."

"And what of these esoteric resources? Who are they, and what did they tell you?"

"Just as Bastian has its Shamanic Order, we have a cabal known as the Witches Divine with a presence in Maidenhall. Their most recent reading was of concern due to its unusual brevity, offering us but a single name."

"And the name?"

"Firefanged," he said.

"I heard the same word in Bastian. Do you know what it means?"

"No, but the Witches felt it was the name of a powerful entity beholden to the Prince of Darkest Reality himself. Its presence seems to have masked the Infernal Cycle from their prying third eyes."

After a brief pause, counting to eleven, I reached into my pack.

"Now, I have something to show you, something that indeed changes things here in the worst possible way." I handed him the ornate wooden lid.

"After we dispatched the Hell-knights, I destroyed a ritual box that was holding the Hell-gate in place, but I kept this lid as evidence. Perhaps we can ask your divine witches about it and find out its source. Bastian's Hell-gate also had a human-made object, a chalice of silver. The King and Chief Counselor of Bastian were of the strong opinion that the portal was created by a neighboring realm as an act of war. We must inform the King that such a portal has been found within the borders of Colivar."

Loeb handed back the lid. "Ara, once the duke's men arrive, you must ride south with this to Maidenhall."

Inquisitor Loeb ended the tense meeting by handing me a sealed letter from Vigil Snow:

Vigil Ara Storm,

You are now an Entity in the land of Colivar. There is no higher law or power above you besides the true Divine. As Vigil, you are sealed to defend this land from all demonic threats. Your spirit and determination have been well documented for the King, all of his dukes, and your Vigil brethren. Doors will open at your command. As such, let no man or demon stand in the way of your calling.

The resources of the Vigil, King, and Colivar are at your disposal. As your organization grows, you will be expected to name a seat for your Vigil watch. Just as I have planted my flag in Berykholt, and Vigil Thorn has built her stronghold in Dungarr out east, the Crown will fund a permanent site for House Storm. Your choice is entirely up to you, though having a Vigil positioned central to the realm and within a reasonable distance of the King would be advantageous for us all. Please consider it.

I have seen you begin to grow your company already, and nothing is more critical than to have a well-founded and loyal organization around you. Don't hesitate to pull in the people you need, but make sure that they are given a choice. I know that sounds at odds with the way that you were treated, but a Vigil is a different matter and critical to the survival of us all. Know that you and I wear the same scars on the outside. How we right the balance with those on the inside makes all the difference.

With Respect,

Vigil Meryck Snow

PS. My daughter Lynda sends her regards and gratitude for your friendship. She wanted me to mention that her twentieth birthday will be celebrated during the winter promotion event and that you are invited to attend.