01

Wolves, a fowl beast we must co-exist with. Vicious with a never-ending appetite. Although, their numbers are starting to dwindle. Run-ins with these beasts are always fatal and only highly trained hunters are allowed to go and exterminate these beasts.

I am one of those Hunters.

"Irae, grab my sword and take it to get shined and sharpened. Image is just as important as skill you know." Well almost a Hunter. My dad is the best there is in our region, he has over 70 confirmed werewolf kills and many more on smaller pesky monsters.

"I just did that last week!" I throw my hands in the air." I'm tired of just waiting for a monster to be seen, we should be patrolling and hunting them!" I put extra emphasis on hunting. I thought that's what we did. Hunt. When my dad trained the neighbors son, they were off everyday training, hunting, killing. That is what I want to do, I want to slaughter every wolf just like my dad.

"Honey, patience is what being a Hunter is all about. The people feel safer seeing us here than if we were out." He took his water bottle and popped the lid open, guzzling down its contents.

"You should drink too, it's a hot one today." He said while holding up his water bottle.

Bullshit that excuse was. " I can handle fighting dad, I am not a helpless little girl anymore." The only monster I have ever killed was those pesky dire gophers.

_____________________________________________________

"He thinks I can't do it." I sighed resting my cheeks in the palms of my hands. My blonde hair falling around my face.

" Im sure it's not that and that it's because you're his daughter. His only daughter." My best friend chided. I did have a brother, not by blood, he was adopted by my dad soon after mom died. Dad trained him to become a monster hunter. He went off to hunt the legendary werewolf that stalks through our lands, claiming countless trader carts and innocent human victims. The beast found him first though. Dad would not let me go when they had to identify the body.

"There has never been a woman Hunter before so, I mean there shouldn't be a surprise that you're having trouble progressing." Emma explained.

"But with my own father? Wouldn't you think I would have a step up in the game being that my dad is the best of the best?" I dropped my hands shaking my head.

"No." She drew out the 'O', "Far from that, think about it." Emma propped an elbow on the table we were sitting at and leaned forward. "You're his everything." I rolled my eyes at that remark I was everything but that. Put on the back burner is what I was. "Hear me out, your mom is gone, your brother is gone too. All he has is you."

"And that stupid sword he makes me shine every week." I sneered.

"It only makes sense that he wants you in this giant bubble, away from anything dangerous. Like Wolves."

She knew how badly I wanted to hunt wolves, to mount their heads on my wall and wear their skins.

"How about we finally eat our lunch like we had planned before it goes cold hmm?" Emma pushed my bowl closer to me. It was soup with a chicken-based broth. We sat together at an old picnic table the cook house just behind us.

"If I knew you were going to have a vent session, I would have brought my therapist glasses." She said jokingly. I took a spoonful of soup and blew at it, steam still emanated from the broth. The taste was creamy if home had a taste this is what it would be.

In the corner of my eye one of the farmers comes running from behind his cottage. "Wolves! Wolves! They are here! Quickly call the Hunters!" Instinctively I get up and run to the man. He was breathing heavy, with sweat beading at his forehead. Even with his tanned skin from years of working in the sun he looked incredibly pale. Like he saw a ghost, well, werewolf.

"I- I need a hunter immediately! They are back!" Emma placed a firm hand on my shoulder as if to say 'do not say you're a hunter Irae' "I backed out of his way as he ran to my house. The farmer banged on the door and dad soon opened it. I couldn't hear what was being said but by the frantic flailing of the farmers arms I could tell it was a hasty conversation. Dad looked up at me for a moment before darting inside possibly to grab his weapons, now was my chance.

I ran up to the house passed the stressed farmer. "Let me come with you." I said panting from the run to get to the house. Dad was shuffling through his gear grabbing his lucky sword, crossbow, and the quiver of arrows to go along with it. Slung across his shoulders was a bag. From what little training he taught me in that bag should be sent blocker, and liquid iron given to him by a local witch used for dipping his blades in.

Wolves had a special healing ability which, when cut with regular steel they can heal quickly. Iron, on the other hand, left a burning laceration. If paired with a quick hand would leave enough time to deal a killing blow.

I knew how to kill them. The only thing stopping me from doing so.

Was dad.

"Let me come with you." I repeated, sterner this time.

Dad paused from gearing up, he was breathing heavy, the adrenaline rushing through him. "Irae, its- its too dangerous and you aren't at that level in your training yet." My shoulders dropped. I knew that would be his answer but hearing it still brought my disappointment.

"How am I going to learn if I don't even get to watch!" I stepped closer to him," Its not fair! I've been training for almost two years! The boys you all trained had their first werewolf kill within 10 months of training with you!" I squealed out the last part trying not to cry.

Dad sagged his shoulders, for a second it looked like he felt bad. "Okay, Okay fine. You can come for the tracking and investigation, but when I say go back to the house you listen." The last word he said with a certain level of aggravation that I got the point. No arguing. A smile perked at the corners of my mouth, the only experience I had with anything wolf was in books.