07

"Tonight, will be the night gentlemen! The night we finally slaughter The Black Death!" I raised my drink with my fellow hunters.

       I sent a silent prayer that Irae was okay. We found her horse a few miles away from the village injured but alive. I cursed at myself for not securing my gear. My gut told me she might run off and attempt to hunt the malicious demon. Of course, I did not listen.

      To my fellow men I hid my fear, I taught most of these men. I taught them to have no fear as it permeates through everyone once one person is terrified. Fear had a certain odor that traveled for miles wolves had a good nose for picking up rotting corpses and fear.

      We finished our drink and mounted our horses, during our hunt we banged and clanged on metal objects regular wolves would flee at the sound of multiple humans, but not The Black Death, he came charging towards it.

      We rode for hours, some men brought drink in their flasks to continue the party. They were of bunch of drunkard bastards with a death wish, so was I.

      The woods were dark, the lights from our lanterns strapped to our saddles were only able to illuminate the first few rows of trees off to the sides of the trail our horses sauntered on.

     I felt it, the tingle down my neck Irae called it my wolf senses. After all these years of tracking and exterminating these vermin you begin to sense them just like they sense you. I hold my hand up for my men to stop. "Its near boys, get ready." I pulled out my rifle from behind my back, the silver barrel shone against the moonlight. Guns were hard to come by now-a-days with traders refusing to make the dangerous trek to our village to trade. I took out of my pocket a bullet made from silver and placed it in the receiver.

      This time I will not miss.

      My own father was a blacksmith, he taught me how to make these special bullets. The materials to craft such ammunition was difficult. Being cut off from local traders has been difficult The Black Death knew of this, but he will not win.

      I was looking down admiring my weapon when I heard one of my men yelling getting launched into the darkness. Our horses spooked spinning and bouncing. Then another one of my men ripped from their mount kicking and screaming. I cannot waste this bullet.

      One by one they were picked off the horses they rode running off till it was just me.

      The devil skirts out from the woods on the trail, kicking up dust as it slides to a stop on all fours. Last time I got a good look at him was when I executed its mother. I got good money for the hide. I would've mounted its head but there wasn't any left.

      The beast stands to its full height, if I weren't on my horse it would have blocked the moon from my vision.

      "Hows your mother." I grinned wickedly.

      It growls spittle flying from its mouth its hot breath creating a misty condensation against the nipping air before charging towards me. I aim my rifle, a perfect headshot till my horse rears bringing my sight up to the sky. My horse whinnies falling backwards throwing me to the floor. I scramble to stand but was only on my feet for a second before a swipe of its clawed hand sent me on my back. On impact I hit my head, the world rang and spun my vison blacked for a moment.

      I grabbed at my back drawing my sword. My mind was turned off from the impact but years of training has left my muscles with their own thoughts. Wielding my sword, luckily it was not stolen when Irae took it to attempt what im doing. The creature slowed its charge walking over to me on the ground. From the fall my rifle was knocked too far for me to reach.