3

'Friend U Can Keep'

*please excuse any errors*

Method Man as William Knight
The Reader as Sharayne Preston

Method Man as William KnightThe Reader as Sharayne Preston

2002

It was a Friday evening in New York City. The city seemed to be more alive tonight than it's ever been. Instead of experiencing all the night had to offer, Sharayne Preston was couped up in her bedroom, textbooks cracked open while she finished up her homework for her upcoming classes and did some studying for Finals as well. Amerie's smooth, soft vocals serving as her company.

If Sharayne, had it her way, then she'd be out painting the town with her friends and other peers, living her young adult life to the fullest but her responsibilities always came first. In order to play hard, she would have to work hard, if not harder. That was just the name of the game.

Luckily though, Summer was approaching, which meant the semester would be coming to an end in three short weeks, and the only thing she would have to worry about was work, but she didn't mind that.

She would just be happy to have some free time. The last day of the semester couldn't come any faster, though.

"Feeling like letting you love me... feeling like giving you my heart. Show me all the love that you're feeling..."

She sang along with Amerie as she continued on with the tedious task of reading the questions in her textbook and searching through the pages for the answer before jotting them down in her own words.

She was in her zone, free of distractions until her Motorola cell phone began to ring on her nightstand. She decided to ignore the call because she didn't need anyone wrecking her flow in this moment.

So much for that, she thought just as her phone began to ring a second time.

Grabbing it, she read the name that displayed, and it caused her to huff and roll her eyes as she answered, "What do you want, Will?"

William Knight, better known was Will, was Sharayne's former classmate and one of her closest friends. The two met during her Junior year at Columbia. It was his Senior year, and he was nothing but her statistics professor's assistant, but he eventually became her tutor after offering his services. From there, the two had developed a platonic friendship, but that didn't stop William from being attracted to her in every way.

Sharayne was aware, and the attraction was mutual, but it wasn't something either one of them acted on. Sharayne was aware of the fact Will got around, and she wanted no parts. She thought she would play it safe by keeping things friendly. If it wasn't broke, there was no use in trying to tweak it now.